archival solidarity project

Margaret Turner <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 19 Mar 2007 10:16:31 +0000

I have been asked to post this on behalf of someone who is not a member of
the list.
Please excuse cross-postings.

Dear Colleagues,

It gives me great pleasure to inform you of the availability of a new
website for the Archival Solidarity Project, International Council of
Archives (ICA), Section for Professional Records Management and Archives
Associations (SPA).  The site is available in English, French, and Spanish
at:

http://archives3.concordia.ca/Solidarity/default.html

For those of you who may not be familiar with Archival Solidarity it is an
ICA/SPA project that aims to co-ordinate efforts in the international
archives community to carry out foreign assistance projects to develop
tools and expertise for developing communities and communities in
transition.

Its objectives are to:
1. Share information about international projects for development and
cooperation.
2. Facilitate international projects for development and cooperation that
are responsive, practical, and well-targeted.
3. Initiate international projects for development and cooperation that
will:
* Work with partners to share professional information
* Send experts to provide training and education
* Provide expertise and/or materials to carry out archival projects

The Archival Solidarity website includes information on the project and
the work that has been undertaken, as well as contact information for the
Committee.  You are invited to explore the site and to come back often to
see what we're up  to  and what new information is available.

Please note that the Archival Solidarity Committee is not a funding agency
and we do not have development funds to distribute.  However, our mandate
is to facilitate international projects, particularly by acting as an
information clearinghouse.  One of the projects that is currently underway
is to collect information in various countries about funding opportunities
for archival outreach projects.

Many of you replied to a brief questionnaire and follow-up that requested
information about development and cooperation activities that you have
undertaken.  The information gathered will be available on the Archival
Solidarity website in the coming weeks.  Some of you have attended
information sessions at the ICA Congress in Vienna, and at recent meetings
of the Association of Canadian Archivists, the Association of Moving Image
Archivists, and the Society of American Archivists, and we are pleased to
keep you informed about what Archival Solidarity is doing.

The Archival Solidarity Committee is interested in hearing from you about
development and cooperation activities you are undertaking.  We believe
it's important for the international archival community to exchange
information and expertise on these matters.  We will be issuing regular
information bulletins and invite members of the archival community to
become part of our mailing list.  We will also be posting our bulletins on
the ICA Listserve in English, French, and Spanish; we think it's an ideal
forum for further discussion of these matters.  If you are not a member of
the ICA Listserve it's easy and free to join.  Instructions for doing so
are available in many languages at: