MCG February 2007

Re: Landladies, toast and culture

Graham Head <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 22 Feb 2007 10:03:22 -0000

I am so pleased they have the Framley Museum on the list...
Graham Head
The British Museum

-----Original Message-----
From: Museums Computer Group [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of
Ottevanger, Jeremy
Sent: 21 February 2007 13:28
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Landladies, toast and culture

Looks like a case for a semantic approach to me!

This is a mashup inasmuch as it's plotting the data they've collected
onto Google Maps, but it would be a proper mashup if they had taken data
live from museum sources. I'm not sure what out of date info Alasdair
found - all I can see is points plotted onto a map, not even including
the location of the museum/gallery itself - but in any case, if they
could use live data (say a feed from 24HM with museum location, name
etc.) it would be easy for institutions to manage this themselves and
keep that mashup up to date. We can also furnish our own locations and
contact details with microformats, although I know of no service
currently that aggregates these in a way that could be used to feed such
a mashup.

Visit this page http://www.museumoflondon.org.uk/english with Mozilla
and Tails and you'll see the contact details and geo-reference for the
location.

On the whole, though, I don't think the B&B thing does any harm, as long
as it isn't showing misleading info (which it isn't for us). So it's all
good exposure and I'm for it.

Jeremy

Jeremy Ottevanger
Web Developer, Museum Systems Team
Museum of London Group
46 Eagle Wharf Road
London. N1 7ED
Tel: 020 7410 2207
Fax: 020 7600 1058
Email: [log in to unmask] www.museumoflondon.org.uk

Last chance to see Belonging: Voices of London's Refugees - a
thought-provoking free exhibition, ends 25 February Glamour, grandeur,
sleaze, disease - discover a great city in the making in the new
Medieval London gallery. Click here for free weekend activities for all
the family Register for regular Museum updates with
[log in to unmask] -----Original Message-----