DIS-FORUM@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

DIS-FORUM Home

DIS-FORUM  February 2007

DIS-FORUM February 2007

Re: language

"Silver, Liz" <[log in to unmask]>

Discussion list for disabled students and their support staff.

Thu, 15 Feb 2007 13:41:37 -0000

Hi,

As a disabled person I think the use of language is important and in
particular the use of 'disabled people' rather than 'people with
disabilities'. As others have said, it is about supporting the social
model of disability - i.e. that it is the barriers that we face on a
daily basis that are the disabling factors in our lives. Those barriers
may be physical, environmental, due to people's attitudes or lack of
awareness etc, but that's what stops us doing things and living life as
we choose.

I have a visual impairment, not a visual disability (although that
phrase could be interpreted in so many ways!). My visual impairment is
not an issue for me and I do my job quite happily. However, it is
disabling when I for example get information in print or as a PDF
graphic.

Please keep using the term 'disabled people', it is the one supported by
the disabled people's movement.

Cheers,

Liz

Liz Silver