ALLSTAT Archives

allstat@jiscmail.ac.uk

ALLSTAT Home

ALLSTAT  February 2007

ALLSTAT February 2007

inter-rater reliability

Vassilis Hartzoulakis <[log in to unmask]>

Vassilis Hartzoulakis <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 24 Feb 2007 15:13:11 +0200

Greetings
I would greatly appreciate any suggestions on this problem:

I have a list of 1400 compositions rated twice each (rateA, rateB), by two
different raters (raterA and raterB) on a scale 0-15. The raters are
randomly chosen from a pool of 120, so they randomly function either as
raterA or as raterB (not that it matters, as they do not see each other's
marks and they do not note anything on the papers).
I want to check inter-rater reliability to see if they apply the rating grid
that they are provided with homogeneously.
I was thinking of Pearson's r (which, by the way yields r=.515, n=1400,
p<.001 two-tailed).
Still, I read that the Pearson correlation coefficients are calculated for
one pair of judges at a time, whereas I have different pairs -regardless if
individual raters appear more than once either as raterA or as raterB.
Does that mean that I must adapt a different index? (e.g. categorize the
results and employ Cohen's kappa or Cronbach's alpha?)
I do not even think that partial correlations would do the work, as I do not
have any other variables apart from the raters.

For reference the data are arranged as follows:

Composition        RaterAID    RateA    RaterBID    RateB
1                        1200            12        1215            10
2                        1200            06        1215            07
-------------
134                    1256            04         1233            05
135                    1256            11         1233            08
---------------
250                    1215            02         1288            03
251                    1215            11         1288            15
950                    1298            05         1200            02
951                    1298            15         1200            14

etc.

I've been whacking my mind for several days now, but the more I read, the
more I get confused.
If someone can help, he or she will have done me a great favour.
Thank you

Vassilis