Help for RECORDS-MANAGEMENT-UK Archives

RECORDS-MANAGEMENT-UK Archives

RECORDS-MANAGEMENT-UK@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

RECORDS-MANAGEMENT-UK Home

RECORDS-MANAGEMENT-UK  February 2007

RECORDS-MANAGEMENT-UK February 2007

Re: Retention- Allegations against staff

Lee Gardiner <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 9 Feb 2007 14:44:47 -0000

I think you also need to give some consideration to the nature of the
allegation and who is making that allegation.

Obviously if its of physical or sexual abuse then child safety is paramount
and longer retention, regardless of the outcome of any investigation may
well be justified.

A more minor (and I use the word advisedly) offence of financial impropriety
may warrant a shorter retention period.

In my authority social care HR retain all papers on employees who are sacked
for gross misconduct 'indefinitely' (although we are addressing that) but
papers relating to investigations into employees who are found guilty of
offences that don't warrant misconduct have the information destroyed after
the warning period expires.  For example a person who has been using the
internet in work time for personal use might receive a 6 month warning
(another offence within 6 months would lead to dismissal) and all papers
relating to the disciplinary would be destroyed once the 6 months has
expired.

Also is it warranted to retain details of an allegation until someone is 70
if they are exonerated? Also what if the allegation is malicious?