Re: what is a masters thesis?

Terence Love <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 18 Feb 2007 09:35:59 +0800

Dear Patrick and Gunnar,

I think it's helpful to look at the purpose of a thesis in academia.

The main purpose of any thesis is for the candidate to demonstrate their
competence at sound reasoning. This includes the skills of being able to
choose sound assumptions and construct a logical sequence of steps to a
conclusion with no fallacies, whilst scrupulously avoiding sophist
manipulation. This use of a thesis or term paper is found at all levels of
education. Writing a thesis is a means of testing this competence in
reasoning that all Masters students are expected to possess. In Design
disciplines, this competence in reasoning is required in many professional
as well as academic aspects of designers' skills. For example, it is
essential in being able to competently understand a brief; to be able to
discuss outcomes with clients; to be able to understand and draw on new
knowledge and techniques; to be able to competently understand and use
contracts etc. These are practical skills that differentiate a  professional
from an amateur. Reasoning provides the basis for them and a written thesis
tests candidates' competence in reasoning skills.

I find it also helpful to distinguish between the research competencies of
Masters and PhD awards.  A distinction I find helpful is:

*    Masters - to demonstrate competence in a specified range of
practitioner skills, including the correct application of a research
technique done independently under supervision.

*    PhD - to demonstrate competence in the practitioner skills to manage
and operate a research protocol independently under supervision, and IN
ADDITION to demonstrate competence in the skills of creating a NEW
well-justified research protocol.

This latter is part of the reason why PhD candidates are required to tackle
a new research problem or create new knowledge, and why the research
methodology section of a PhD thesis is carefully scrutinised. It is the
ability to be able to create from scratch a research protocol for a specific
research problem that marks the essential difference between a PhD and a
Masters. It requires epistemological and ontological skills in addition to
practical skills in using research methods.

Thoughts?

Terry

===
Dr. Terence Love