Re: IELTS and Trinity

Frances Nehme <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 2 Feb 2007 11:30:55 +0000

text/plain

Thanks for answering this question, David,
I had been feeling guilty about not addressing it - I felt it was such a can
of worms. I didn't reply at the time, as I felt it needed a really full
answer and would probably lead to lengthy discussion and some bad feeling.
However, now you have stuck your neck out, I'd like to back up what you say.
In the past I used to prepare students for TOEFL for university entrance in
the States and for IELTS here - this was simply because it was an entry
requirement. In the UK I did this for students who were a pretty strong
Level 2, or higher, had had years of EFL before coming here and who only
needed IELTS to get into University. It was a case of exam prep and
practice, mock exams and cramming, not of ESOL learning as such.
It didn't seem constructive to reply to Stephen by simply being opinionated
and saying that, as far as I'm concerned, IELTS cannot usefully be mapped to
the Core Curriculum and an ESOL scheme of work can't be served by the
attempt to find spurious links with it.
I also feel that ESOL learners working towards Level One - in particular-
cannot be helped by cramming for IELTS - but felt uncomfortable about
stating this as it seems unhelpful to ask someone why they are doing
something when it seems to be established at their place of work.

Thanks again for addressing this
Frances