JiscMail Logo

Help for PRACTITIONER-RESEARCHER Archives

PRACTITIONER-RESEARCHER Archives

PRACTITIONER-RESEARCHER Archives

PRACTITIONER-RESEARCHER@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

Message:

[

First

Previous

Next

Last

]

By Topic:

[

First

Previous

Next

Last

]

By Author:

[

First

Previous

Next

Last

]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

LISTSERV Archives

PRACTITIONER-RESEARCHER Home

PRACTITIONER-RESEARCHER Home

PRACTITIONER-RESEARCHER  January 2007

PRACTITIONER-RESEARCHER January 2007

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Log In

Get Password

Get Password

Re: insight to practice

"A.D.M.Rayner" <[log in to unmask]>

BERA Practitioner-Researcher <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 12 Jan 2007 09:15:36 -0000

text/plain

Dear Je Kan, Jack and all,

I think you raise a deeply important issue, here, Je Kan, one that I touched
on in my response to Chris Macrae that I circulated to this list, and one
that is very dear to many poets and artists in regard to the educational
(awareness-inducing) value of their work.

Chris Macrae had in fact pretty much reprimanded me for responding to a
communication on one of his lists by sending some poetry and chapters 8 and
9 from 'Natural Inclusion' (which he regarded as self-publicizing semi-spam)
that I felt was in support of what one of the correspondents was saying. He
feared that this would offend some of the 'star (most connected hub)
networkers' on his list and that they would withdraw their interest. He
implied that poetry would not move and would indeed put off the 'top dog
movers and shakers' who needed to be appeased if they were going to add
their weight to 'save the world' movements. Well. .. Talk about celebrity
culture! My own feeling increasingly is that sycophancy is no route to
cultural transformation, when it is the top dogs who have often got where
they are by bullying and hoarding. It's one of those perversities of our
culture of discontent that those most empowered by money and fame are in
many ways the last people to turn to for help with transformation - for
them, 'seeing' the loophole in the security box is more difficult than
passing a camel (thick cord) through the eye of a needle.

The issue is that there are forms of communication whose value lies in their
invitation to reflection without the support of a verbal narrative - indeed
where the latter may be intrusive and misleading. The invitation is for the
observer, listener or experiencer to tap into to their own 'unconscious
awareness' and find whatever they will find there. There is no requirement
for the communication - if it is to be 'successful' - to reproduce in the
'receiver' what was in the mind of the 'transmitter' (contrary to the
notions of Shannon - Weiner's rationalistic information theory, but in line
with Gabor's [of holography fame] inclusional communication theory). Indeed,
exact reproduction of the communicator's intention is often regarded as a
non-creative 'failure'. Note how this relates to the distinction between a
training instructor and a mindful educator.

In my own use of artwork, I have trodden a tricky tightrope between allowing
my imagery to 'speak for itself', evoking whatever it will (I often use a
painting in a seminar by asking what people 'see' in it, which gives rise to
many different perspectives, often some I haven't appreciated myself), and
providing some 'cryptic clues' or 'guidelinings', by way of poetic or
lyrical narrative. In some cases, these 'clues' or 'guidelinings' can assist
deeper enquiry, in the same way that a swimmer can help a non-swimmer
immerse in water. The art of the communicator is to judge (in the sense of
discern) just how much 'guidelining' it is appropriate to provide - and it
is this question of judgement that is not only pertinent in my mind to this
BERA enquiry, but also to the Jack - Je Kan conversation. Jack's judgement
is that there needs to be more guidelining, Je Kan's is that the imagery
alone is sufficient. Here is where the question of judgment needs to bring
in the context of the audience and the diversity of perspectives it may
contain, as well as what opportunity there is for sharing of view within
this audience. In an 'ideal world' we would all be placed in a 'sharing
circle' around Je Kan's imagery, each able to 'speak from the heart' about
what the imagery invokes in us, and through hearing each other's diverse
perspectives arrive at a richer understanding than might have been possible
individually. But placed as we are at the busyness ends of a global computer
network, such open sharing is not so easy. Hence each of us may have formed
our own impression of Je Kan's imagery (if we have found the space in our
schedules to observe it), but the group context may not have been conducing
to sharing this [thoughts like 'what am I supposed to say?'; 'I don't want
to fill up everyone else's mail box with my subjective impressions' etc may
have crossed our minds].

For myself, any analytical explanation by Je Kan would have intruded upon
the deep, engaging mystery of the imagery. I felt drawn in by the
expressions on faces, the sense of deep personal commitment, the spirit of
caring and sharing in a practice that objective onlookers might regard as
'mumbo jumbo' but which for that very 'reason' can take us 'beyond
objectification'. The actions in themselves are meaningless; what these
actions express is meaningful. The paint on a canvas in itself is
meaningless - what this paint expresses...

So, Je Kan, far from being a 'waste of time', I think your posting and its
significance merely took 'some while' for its creative influence to emerge.
The most creative is rarely appreciated immediately, for the immediate
'surface impression' is what the most creative seeks to question, especially
in a materialist culture.

So I keep telling myself as I face what feels like the general resounding
rejection of my most heartfelt expressions as they bounce of 'the wall' of
objective rationality. Should I 'sugar the pill' to make it more acceptable
to the majority? Should Je Kan 'say what he means?' What kind of judgement
is truly alive to its dynamic context?

Doubt is doubtless creative, as is Achilles Heal.

Warmest

Alan