JiscMail Logo

Help for PRACTITIONER-RESEARCHER Archives

PRACTITIONER-RESEARCHER Archives

PRACTITIONER-RESEARCHER Archives

PRACTITIONER-RESEARCHER@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

Message:

[

First

Previous

Next

Last

]

By Topic:

[

First

Previous

Next

Last

]

By Author:

[

First

Previous

Next

Last

]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

LISTSERV Archives

PRACTITIONER-RESEARCHER Home

PRACTITIONER-RESEARCHER Home

PRACTITIONER-RESEARCHER  January 2007

PRACTITIONER-RESEARCHER January 2007

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Log In

Get Password

Get Password

Re: surfingthe gap of space creation

Rev Je Kan Adler-Collins <[log in to unmask]>

BERA Practitioner-Researcher <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 7 Jan 2007 02:53:10 +0000

text/plain

A warm hello from a chilly Japan.  I think it was (Bernstein 2000) whom
I had great difficulty in engaging with at first, that described what
is acceptable thinking and unacceptable thinking and the space between
the two he called the discursive gap.  My interest in space from my
Buddhist training was stimulated , for I was intrigued by (Rayner 2003)
concept of the space of non space, or the excluded middle. Both
concepts I found to be exciting in their depths of offering a new
dimension to the thinking on space.  I read the postings on this list
with the idea of space in mind. I feel that what seems to a universal
attribute, perhaps a value, is that most of the “world class” educators
I know share certain qualities that are beyond race, culture or creed.
It is these qualities that offer hope for humanity.  I believe that
they are space creators and they set about doing three major things:
Firstly, They create spaces for learning that are built on the firm
conviction of compassion, love and tolerance.  Great educators that  I
know  and impacted on my life such as Jack, Alan, Jean, Maggie, Moira
to name but a few.  All go out of their way to avoid any violation of
the other, not in the complexity of word webs woven with double
meanings but the shining brilliance of lived values in praxis. This
space creation is such a gift as it is the building block of a safe
space.  What do I mean by safe space? Well, tough question, as
educational spaces are such complex things often being shaped by
external conditions and power relationships. I feel that the inner
space as it were, the classroom  or learning space that the teacher
holds in making contact with their students, has to be safe. Safe
enough to embrace the learning needs and vulnerabilities of the
students, strong enough and compassionate enough to hold fluid
boundaries that stop the space from being a therapeutic space alone and
keep it focused on the learning tasks at hand.
This brings me to the second skill these educators show and that is of
holding the space. In Buddhist thinking we create a space by making its
form, this is because all space is connected, the form is the causal or
mental construction of visualizing the object. We also teach that
lighting a candle in the dark attracts the moths!. So holding a space
is a discipline that prevents others moving in to take over the space
already created. Alan talks of the vamparic, I also suggest the cuckoo
and energy that it not what it seems, invades spaces and then ejects
all that was original from the space and replaces it with its own
image. Great educators hold their space in service to others by the
lived expression of their values.
The third thing they do is clean the space, by clean I mean they create
a space that is positively neutral, I know that many will object to my
use of these words but let me try and use the limited cage of words to
explain an esoteric concept of importance. The positive refers to the
love , compassion and non judgementalism they  use that allows others
to bring into their spaces values that they themselves may not agree
with. They do not eject the other but rather make safe the difference.
I have seen them take aggressive wounded learners and give them enough
space to heal, I know  I was one!.

Surfing the gap between what is acceptable and unacceptable forms of
knowing is where I believe practitioner research flourishes because it
is the ability of practitioners to create safe spaces in the complexity
of chaos. Like surfing, it is a skill that has to be grounded in the
praxis. The western fixation for dissecting words in the object often
results the whole being lost as implied by Alan’s twin towers.  Hence
the beauty of the potential of media as it offers an image or set of
images that are open to interpretation by the other. Jack for example
has shown all the skills I have mentioned as he checks out our meanings
and understanding with his own. I would feel more comfortable if more
space was made for difference and allow for others to express of to
feel some thing that we do not see or feel. It takes courage to break
new ground which is often forgotten by those whom follow as instant
experts. As a practitioner I would like to see more images of practice
and less words, but that is just me!..smile.

Bernstein, B. (2000) Pedagogy,Symbolic Control and Identity, Rowman &
Littlefield Publishers Inc, Lanham MD:.
Rayner, A. (2003) Inclusionality-An Immersive Philosphy of
Environmental Relationships, Macmillan, Palgrave.

uoting Marie Huxtable <[log in to unmask]>:

> [...]
> quality educational environment.
>

> Jack asks:
>

> http://www.jackwhitehead.com/jack/jwyoutubeimages3.htm
>

> As you look at the clips I am wondering if you recognise
> the expression of embodied values, skills and understandings you are also
> working to bring more fully into the world?
>

> And Jean asks:
>

> How do we make judgements about how we are?
>

> When I look at Jack´s
> collage and narratives I feel an invitation to see and create these flowing
> connections extend across time and space. As I create and recreate those
> connections I am thinking ' do I see me in you?´, `what `me´ am I
> seeking?´ and
> I wonder how often I connect to the `me I don´t want to be´ in others:
> impositional, aggressive, demanding. How am I making judgements about
> me and the
> way I want to be in the world?
>

> When Jack writes:
>

> In asking, researching and answering good quality questions
> I think we can contribute to the creation of a world of educational quality.
>

> I am wondering if exploring the implications of asking questions
> about our educational influences in our own learning, in the learning
> of others
> and in the social formations in which we live and work, is a
> characteristic of
> world leading standards of judgment for educational practitioner research?
>

> I see in the collage
> and narratives Jack recognising people seeking to connect to the other
> invitationally, non impositionally, sensitively, to communicate
> enquiringly of
> themselves and the other, to communicate something that is important
> to them. (I
> appreciate this is how I am seeing the world and I do not pretend that I can
> talk for Jack.) In writing this I realise these are qualities I wish to see
> lived more fully in the world and in the world of education children
> and young
> people are exposed to and I am asking myself how I might contribute
> more to the
> realisation of such a world. So for me the question is an important one to
> continually ask, `am I asking good quality questions and in
> researching answers
> do I contribute to the quality of an educational world I wish to see?´
>

> For me a gift is in the
> creation with another in mind, the offering and the manner in which it is
> valued. Jack writes:
>

> I hope you receive this visual narrative in the spirit of a
> gift in which I'm developing my own talent for communicating the living
> standards of judgment that can help to move the world to a better
> place to be.
>

> I feel an open
> offering, rather than the delivering, of a gift in creation; in
> working with it
> over time I hope I can contribute to it´s worth. Feels like a really good way

Rev Je Kan Adler-Collins
Assistant Professor of Nursing
Fukuoka Prefectural University Faculty of Nursing
Tagawa City
Fukuoka Prefecture
Japan