JiscMail Logo

Help for PRACTITIONER-RESEARCHER Archives

PRACTITIONER-RESEARCHER Archives

PRACTITIONER-RESEARCHER Archives

PRACTITIONER-RESEARCHER@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

Message:

[

First

Previous

Next

Last

]

By Topic:

[

First

Previous

Next

Last

]

By Author:

[

First

Previous

Next

Last

]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

LISTSERV Archives

PRACTITIONER-RESEARCHER Home

PRACTITIONER-RESEARCHER Home

PRACTITIONER-RESEARCHER  January 2007

PRACTITIONER-RESEARCHER January 2007

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Log In

Get Password

Get Password

Re: World Class practitioner research

Brian wakeman <[log in to unmask]>

BERA Practitioner-Researcher <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 29 Jan 2007 11:09:56 +0000

text/plain

Hello Yakub and All,

I know you may have signed off, but I've copied you
in!

There are a couple of points I wish to make about your
last posting:

I feel it's important to clarify BERA's role, in
responding to your question about BERA
objectives.......

1.  Here is a quote from the SIG's statement:
DESCRIPTION
"This SIG focuses upon issues arising from carrying
out , supporting others in carrying out , and
theorising about , practitioner research. We promote
the publication and dissemination of practitioner
research studies and methodological approaches to
practitioner research, bring together those with a
special interest in all  those (closely
related)methodologies in which research is an integral
part of practice: e.g. action research , teacher
research, evidence -based practice, research into
personal and professional change, and research in the
developmental/critical paradigm. Practice is very
broadly defined as any form of professional work or
community activity or individual endeavour in which
action is informed by values, belief an experience.
Research in this context is defined as any form of
systematic enquiry whose design, method, analysis and
interpretation are open to peer review."
AIMS
"The SIG contributes to the generation of theory,
knowledge and expertise about practitioner research
and the exploration of different purposes and
conceptualisations of 'practitioner research'. We
provide 'critical friendship' to those engaged in
practitioner research with the intention , inter alia,
of establishing broadly agreed 'fitness for purpose'
quality criteria for such research . In addition we
promote links between practitioner research,academic
research and local and national decision-making. The
SIG plays a role in the the development of national
policies for practitioner research through active
engagement with policy makers and bodies that have a
leadership role in practitioner research"

2.  Secondly the e-seminar organised by Jack has been
promoting these BERA aims in general terms and more
specifically been addressing "standards of judgement
in relation to the RAE criteria".
Living Theory and Self-Study have been the
pre-dominant emphasis of the e-seminar due to Jack's
world-leading expertise in this approach.
However many other approaches to practitioner research
are practised by SIG members, and have been reflected
in the postings from time-to-time. e.g. my own
understanding is more akin to Elliott and Somekh than
to the Bath network.
My interest in action-research  has arisen out of
practical professional problems and issues in my work
as a classroom teacher, curriculum developer, and
leader in secondary schools, and more recently as an
advisor and support tutor in ITT, and as an adult
education tutor of watercolours.
The heart of my enquiry has not been self-study or
Living Theory, but more focused on  improving pupils'
and students' learning, promoting staff development,
and in addressing management and leadership issues in
a more inclusive and human way.(for me relating
insights from my Christian faith to professional
practise). Far from being only focused on "I" or local
issues,  my action research has taken on a much wider
circle of concern and effects e.g. through
publication, and work with a major moral education
project in post-communist Slovakia, and more recently
on relating theology to curriculum development in
China.

Here's wishing you real 'eirene', 'peace', 'shalom',
'salaam'

Brian

=== message truncated ===

Brian E. Wakeman