Carter Ecological Limited is currently looking for a Junior GIS
Technician. Carter Ecological Limited undertakes work covering all
aspects of ecology, and specialises in vegetation and animal surveys.
We have an expanding GIS team providing high quality digitised maps to
complement field work as well as enabling our multi-disciplinary team to
analyse and manipulate ecological data to its full extent. We regularly
undertake ecological mapping for various sized projects ranging from small
e.g. internal bat building surveys for individual clients to large e.g.
multi-disciplinary projects for both commercial and non-commercial
We are looking for an enthusiastic full time Junior GIS technician to
provide support to our existing GIS team. Full training will be provided
depending on experience. The position would suit a recent graduate or
someone wishing to gain further consultancy experience.
Your core responsibilities will be:
• To create and update digital GIS database layers and maps from
botanical (Phase 1 Habitat Surveys and NVC mapping) and protected species
• To undertake mapping of designated sites, obtaining information
from various wildlife organisations;
• To undertake and manage large scale data entry of field results
into Excel, MapInfo and Access;
• To perform operational functions of GIS databases for analytical,
land use, and environmental purposes; and
• To provide assistance to our GIS team in terms of updating,
processing and sending of datasets to clients in both electronic and paper
The ideal candidate will:
• Have a first degree in Geography/GIS/Cartography or an equivalent
• Ideally the applicant will have specific experience in the
ecological aspects of GIS but this is not essential.
• A working knowledge of MapInfo primarily although knowledge of
other packages i.e. ESRI will be taken into consideration.
• A good working knowledge of Word and Excel. A working knowledge
of Access and photo editing software would be an advantage.
• Have an interest in cartography and a desire to develop technical
skills through the production of maps and GIS datasets;
• Be a team player as the role will involve working with people at
all levels throughout the company;
• Be a quick learner, able to work on their own initiative, be
capable of producing work to a high standard, and must be able to organise
work loads to compensate for our tight deadlines; and
• Have good communication skills and a pragmatic approach to problem
solving, with strong attention to detail.
We are a motivated and dynamic team and applicants should posses the
ability to work within a busy environment. The position will be based at
our office in Banbury. The post will offer a salary of between £13,000 -
£15,000 which is negotiable depending on experience and will be a full
time permanent position subject to a three month probational period.
If you are interested in this opportunity to gain valuable work experience
in the first instance please contact Ben Fisher (GIS Team Manager) with
your CV and a covering letter.
Carter Ecological Limited,
40 South Bar,
Oxfordshire, OX16 9AE
[log in to unmask]
CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATIONS: 5TH FEBRUARY, WITH INTERVIEWS TO BE HELD IN
EARLY FEBRUARY. EMPLOYMENT OFFERED AS SOON AS POSSIBLE AFTER THAT DATE.
To unsubscribe or modify your gis-jobs settings, please visit: