Schwa(s) - 5th Nantes Conference in Linguistics (JEL'2007)
LLING - EA3827
Following requests from potentials participants, the deadline for submission
of a proposal has been extended to ***January, 8th 2007***.
Penultimate Call for Papers
The 5th Journées d'Études Linguistiques de Nantes (JEL'2007) will take
place on 27th and 28th, June 2007. They will be organized by
Olivier Crouzet and Jean-Pierre Angoujard (Laboratoire de
Linguistique de Nantes, LLING - EA3827). In the historical (and
friendly) context of discussion that has taken place regularly in
Nantes between phoneticians and phonologists, the theme and title of
this workshop will be : "Schwa(s)".
You're invited to submit a summary (maximum 2 pages, including
references, A4 paper) about any issue related to "schwa(s)" :
* Nature of schwa in French and in any other language;
* Schwa and central vowels;
* Schwa and "empty positions";
* "Substance" of empty positions;
* Phonological change, [hi]storie(s) of schwa(s);
* Dialectology, usage of schwa;
* Instrumental (articulatory or acoustic) analyses of schwas and
* Treatment of schwa(s) in speech synthesis;
* Perceptual mechanisms relating to schwas and associated
* Recognition of words including schwas;
(this list is not restrictive).
All information concerning this conference is available on the
Send an anonymous two page abstract (A4, times 12) in PDF format
including the title of the proposed communication at the following
address : [log in to unmask]
Your text will be written in either english or french with no
indication of authors. This PDF document will be sent to the following
email address : [log in to unmask], the body of your message
will include :
* the e-mail address to which communications should be sent;
* the author(s)' name(s);
* the author(s)' affiliation(s)';
* the author(s)' address;
* the title of the communication.
The author(s)' name(s) and affiliation(s) should only appear in the
body of your e-mail, not in the PDF document.
If you wish to submit several proposals, please do this in separate
The proposals will be evaluated anonymously by the scientific
committee. Evaluations will be sent along with the acceptance /
For the inclusion of final papers into the conference proceedings,
word processing styles (for OpenOffice / Word and LaTeX) will be
provided to the authors.
* Submission deadline: Extended to January, 8th 2007
* Notification of acceptation: March, 30th 2007
* Reception of final papers: May, 21st 2007
* Preliminary programme: June, 4th 2007
* Conference (JEL'2007): June, 27th-28th 2007.
[This two-day conference will be followed, on Friday 29th June 2007,
by the first Journée d'Études Gallèses (JEG'2007) (Conference on
the Gallo language). On this first edition, the scientific programme
will be upon invitation only. For any information concerning this
workshop on Gallo: [log in to unmask]]