JiscMail Logo

Help for PRACTITIONER-RESEARCHER Archives

PRACTITIONER-RESEARCHER Archives

PRACTITIONER-RESEARCHER Archives

PRACTITIONER-RESEARCHER@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

Message:

[

First

Previous

Next

Last

]

By Topic:

[

First

Previous

Next

Last

]

By Author:

[

First

Previous

Next

Last

]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

LISTSERV Archives

PRACTITIONER-RESEARCHER Home

PRACTITIONER-RESEARCHER Home

PRACTITIONER-RESEARCHER  January 2007

PRACTITIONER-RESEARCHER January 2007

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Log In

Get Password

Get Password

Re: My Achilles Heal - Testimony of a 'Gifted' Child

"A.D.M.Rayner" <[log in to unmask]>

BERA Practitioner-Researcher <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 5 Jan 2007 09:15:09 -0000

Dear Pip,

Many thanks!

Yes, indeed, I too have struggled with the implications and paradoxes of the
'golden rule', especially with regard to the contradiction in my upbringing
between being expected both to be supremely competitive and to put others'
interests before my own. A telling moment for me came when a 'religious
education teacher' (and our local Parish Vicar) told us boys - 'the cream of
the A1 stream' - that the crucifix symbolized 'I' crossed out (and we'd go
to Hell if we didn't cross ourselves out).

The question that I was for long 'obsessed' by (in 'OCD' terms) was 'how do
you apply the golden rule to a bully?'

Ultimately, I think the paradoxes of the 'golden rule' arise - you've
guessed it - from objective (axiomatic) definitions of 'self' and 'other'.
They are of the same ilk as the Cretan liar parodox, which arises when a
Cretan informs you that all Cretans are liars.

I'm attaching my 'dangerously heretical' 'Chapter 3' from 'Inclusional
Nature', in which I resolve the paradox through the concept of the 'complex
self' - 'self as and as a dynamic inclusion of neighbourhood, with both
local (particular) and non-local (everywhere) aspects. The symbol of the
crucifix becomes 'I' crossed through (transfigured) with love (receptivity -
where this also implies acknowledgement of inner and outer distinctions).
'Positive' now becomes understood as a dynamic inclusion of 'negative'
(receptive, gravitational) by 'informative' (responsive, electromagnetic)
and the alienation of receptivity as subtractivity ('evil darkness',
'Achilles Heel') is obviated.

In another message, responding to Marie, I'm attaching chapter 4 of
'Inclusional Nature' in which I describe the 'sharing circle' approach to
'education for diversity', which I think also relates to your issues below.
Maybe 'create space for one another's authentic becoming', becomes the
'golden rule'.

Warmest

Alan