[ExFiles] #2 Icebreaker [Day 2]

Anna Wilkinson <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 9 Jan 2007 09:47:18 +0000

(NB - For those following the self-directed route, please scroll down to
the ‘Icebreaker Message’ section of this email).

ICEBREAKER INTRODUCTION:

As this is an entirely distance learning course, we will not be meeting
face-to-face. However, there will be a number of interactive exercises,
which will provide a similar level of activity to more traditional workshop
sessions. Today is the first of these tasks, which involves an informal
icebreaker exercise for those following the group-supported route.

The interactive exercises on this course will require working in small
groups of "buddies”. Look up your buddies’ names and email addresses on the
list provided at: http://exfiles.pbwiki.com/Buddy%20Group%20List.  The
purpose of the “buddy group” concept is to enable you to interact with your
fellow course mates as you would at a face-to-face workshop.

As there are several exercises for the ExFiles course that require joint
collaboration with your buddies, we must stress that it is very important
for you to communicate at the required times and to inform your group if
you wish to withdraw from the course or are not able to participate for a
substantial length of time. Please inform your buddies of any difficulties
that you may encounter as soon as possible.

If one of your buddies withdraws from the course, it will still be possible
to complete the tasks set as a pair or trio.  In the event of all of the
other members of your buddy group withdrawing from the course, we will make
alternative arrangements for you to complete joint exercises, so you will
not be penalised in the course assessment.

We ask that one member of your buddy group acts as the group facilitator in
order to oversee the group process and achieve the deliverables.  During
this icebreaker, a willing participant should volunteer for this role.
Please note that this contribution should be recorded in your portfolio.

ICEBREAKER MESSAGE:

"As this course is for the more experienced manager you will likely have
encountered an "Employee from Hell".  For today's exercise we would like you
to think of someone on TV, radio, in a book or a famous person who would
make an awful employee and to explain why.

Well, my “Employee from Hell” would have to be Lauren Cooper the teenager
from
the Catherine Tate show:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Catherine_Tate_Show.
Lauren appears insolent with her catchphrase “Am I bovvered? Am I bovvered
though? Do I look bovvered?" which is brought out whenever things don't go
her
way.  She is rude to everyone and always answers back.  Lauren is also
incapable of doing what she is told.  Thus she would be my “Employee from
Hell”
as she would refuse to listen to what I asked her to do, refuse to do
anything I
asked and also be very rude.  As Lauren is prone to overreact and take
offence
at anything said to her she would be a difficult person for other employees
work with and I would end up spending a lot of time resolving her disputes
with other workers. If I attempted to discuss any difficult issues with
Lauren she would take no notice and just say “Am I bovvered? Am I bovvered
though? Do I look bovvered?"
A clip of Lauren in action: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzTsrF1tfX0.

WHAT YOU NEED TO DO:

GROUPS (those following the self-directed route, please scroll down to find
your instructions below)
1.  Look up the details of your buddy group members at:
http://exfiles.pbwiki.com/Buddy%20Group%20List
2. Send your message containing details of your “Employee from Hell” to the
members of your buddy group.  You may also want to include a bit about
yourself as an introduction to the other members of your group.  Anyone
willing to take on the role of group facilitator should also volunteer now.
3. Copy your email message into your portfolio.

SELF-DIRECTED ROUTE
1.  Think of who would be your “Employee from Hell”.
2.  Record the details of your “Employee from Hell” in your portfolio.

Anna Wilkinson
Course Facilitator
FOLIO Management Skills for the More Experienced (ExFiles) Course

Please note that all correspondence regarding the ExFiles course should be
sent to [log in to unmask] Please ensure that you include "ExFiles" in
the Subject field.