JiscMail Logo

Help for PRACTITIONER-RESEARCHER Archives

PRACTITIONER-RESEARCHER Archives

PRACTITIONER-RESEARCHER Archives

PRACTITIONER-RESEARCHER@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

Message:

[

First

Previous

Next

Last

]

By Topic:

[

First

Previous

Next

Last

]

By Author:

[

First

Previous

Next

Last

]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

LISTSERV Archives

PRACTITIONER-RESEARCHER Home

PRACTITIONER-RESEARCHER Home

PRACTITIONER-RESEARCHER  November 2006

PRACTITIONER-RESEARCHER November 2006

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Log In

Get Password

Get Password

Re: a couple of thoughts: Forgiveness as a standard of practice?

Rev Je Kan Adler-Collins <[log in to unmask]>

BERA Practitioner-Researcher <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 2 Nov 2006 00:55:47 +0000

text/plain

Dera Pip,

There are so many interesting strands emerging from this list and so
little time to engage. I enjoyed the insights of this posting and
laughing at the porcupine reference. I would  enjoy working with you if
the offer is still open?  Forgiveness is a central theme of many
religions, faiths and life beliefs, living it is another matter.  In
Buddhist teachings we hold in silence the tension until a resolution
can be found or it is laid aside to be revisited at another time. I am
familiar with the scarification and narrative wreckage scenario. You
mentioned forgiveness of oneself and I am reminded of a conversation
that I had with Jack where I said that Buddhist do not make mistakes
they just have learning situations they do not want to repeat..smile.
I am still of the opinion that within any situation is the potential to
learn if the individual is really ready to address the issues. In so
doing often huge ontological changes can and do occur even to the point
of surrendering from public ascribed values and seeing them in a
different light.  We talk of standards and values, of using faith as a
framework on which to hang them. I was the same, when I embraced
Buddhist teachings and became a priest I did so with an open heart, I
believed that I could truly serve humanity. As I passed through my
training and the traditions were given to me.  I started to sense a
feeling odd dis-ease, the traditions were interpretations of men, their
words , their values.  It started to “not fit”, the standards asked of
me clashed with some basic values I held . The main being the Buddhist
problem of women and sexuality for in none of my research could I find
any reference to why women are not equal to men in their spiritual
journey. Other teachings had their roots in cast and birth showing
where the texts originated from over  2 centuries ago, written in
Sanskrit and ground in a male dominated culture .  A cloud moved in
over my joy of Buddhism for I could not accommodate such belief,
ontologically it was and is unacceptable to me to see women as any
thing other than equal. Once again race, gender and bias were
presenting itself to me. How could Buddhism claim a colorless gaze on
the one hand that embraced the essence of the individual while on the
other denying an aspect of them such as cast and gender? I suffered  in
my heart until I realized that perhaps what was written was not the
essence of Buddha’s teachings of love and compassion for all, rather it
was the manipulation of others interpretations of texts where their
values  were placed into meaning. So what standard and values were
used? I believe it was the standard of engaged enquiry, by this I mean
one that is open to see the mistakes as teachings not as punishments. I
have found that on adopting such a standard walking is the world is
done lightly , harmoniously and leaving soft footprints in the sands of
life.
The Mohawks have been mentioned on this list, I was lucky enough to
study with their healers and elders in Brantford, Ontario, Canada for
many years, I spoke in healing circles and to the council of elders and
the Clan mothers. (A truly amazing group of women.)  At the beginning
of the speech when the ritual eagles feather came to me. I spoke of my
ancestry as an Irish/Scottish Celt, I talked of my whiteness and the
troubles that others of my race had brought to their peoples and I
apologized for that. I also said that I am not them, and I make no
apology for my being what I am white, nor am I what some indigenous
people call white people who are on a quest “a want to be”. I can not
speak for the people only my limited observations and understanding but
I saw a dynamic life affirming energy as the Mohawk people
(Kanien'kehá:ka) took steps to forgive themselves for the loss of their
link with the creator. Many are moving with open hearts to reclaim
their culture and heritage. If anyone had reason to hate they did, for
the power of their forgives was and is humbling They are not blind to
events of the past,  or avoid the  very real problems of the present
nor do they blame the Whiteman for every thing. Some are even taking
the incredible steps to forgiving. However many suffer still from the
legacy of the past.  The teachings I received from my friends in the 6
Nations Peoples brought me to question further my Buddhist teachings. I
found myself at odds with many in my order over the text. I could not
understand how text had replaced compassionate, loving practice.
However I am reminded of another North American indigenous saying of
great promise in that the colors and peoples of the four directions
will one day come together in peace.Many call this the lighting of the
final fire. It would seem that a standard of forgiveness of both self
and other is a good step along that path.

Love and respect
Je Kan.

Quoting Pip/Bruce Ferguson <[log in to unmask]>:

> [...]
> do better."
>

> The other comment you made, Yaakub, was "The hegemony of a totalizing Islam,
> such as expressed in the loathsome comments by the Australian Mufti, is as
> distasteful to Progressive Muslims as right-wing evangelical Christianity."
> Great sense of balance there!  New Zealand recently had some rich members of
> the Exclusive Brethren (a very right-wing Christian group) covertly pour $7m
> into an attempt to influence the outcome of our last election by slandering
> the Greens and Labour.  This, from a group that doesn't believe in voting
> themselves?  The ultimate in hypocrisy I think!  It reinforces the need for
> us to treat people as individuals not with totalizing narratives that are
> not helpful - some of the Exclusive Brethren are lovely people, and probably
> as horrified by this intervention as others of us have been.
>

> The last comment I wanted to engage with in this posting was Sarah
> Fletcher's question, "Is 'awareness' alone a shortfall as an action research
> outcome?"  I am not aware of any claimed action research project that had as
> its outcome awareness ALONE.  I had a woman in my action research course
> many years ago, who was aiming to improve the way she taught computer
> keyboarding by trying to influence her department to acquire and teach a
> more expensive and different keyboarding programme than was currently used.
> She taught 'Typequick' and hated it, believing that it was not helpful to
> her motivation or to the students.  However, in the investigative stages of
> her brief project, while gathering data, she found out that the students all
> liked the programme and saw no reason to change, and the only person who had
> a problem with it was herself.  So her resolution was to change her own
> thinking about the material she used - I believe this went beyond just
> awareness (that her thinking was the problem) into acceptance and
> remotivation (that what worked best for the students was what she should go
> with, at the end of the day).  It's the closest I've encountered to an
> 'awareness' outcome without substantial change except in oneself.
>

> In my understanding of action research, the change component is critical to
> the process.  Awareness is not enough.  It's like Freire's conscientisation
> - awareness coupled with action.  There is little point in being aware of
> oppression if we do nothing about that awareness.  Sarah, it might be good
> if you could share a brief example of what you meant by the question, as I
> don't have time to go in and look at your thesis.
>

> And finally, Jack, the youtube version was INCREDIBLY more accessible - fast
> and comprehensive - than the other way of accessing videoclips.  If it was
> possible to put the material you usually insert by the other methods onto
> youtube, then I think those of us who have been having problems with access
> would be most grateful.
>

> Peaceful thoughts to all (pai marire koutou!)

Rev Je Kan Adler-Collins
Assistant Professor of Nursing
Fukuoka Prefectural University Faculty of Nursing
Tagawa City
Fukuoka Prefecture
Japan