PERMIS-USERS@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

PERMIS-USERS Home

PERMIS-USERS  November 2006

PERMIS-USERS November 2006

Re: Action Naming with Spaces

David Chadwick <[log in to unmask]>

For users/administrators of the PERMIS authorisation software <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 3 Nov 2006 14:36:50 +0000

Hi Meitham

we will look into allowing spaces in Actions.

However some of the actions below are rather dubious e.g.Copy or Move???

regards

David

Meitham Jamaa wrote:
> Hi David,
>
> *Zope* supports having spaces in the naming of *actions* on its
> *resources* e.g. "Manage WebDAV Locks"or "
> <http://localhost:8080/acl_users/manage_permissionForm?permission_to_manage=Manage%20WebDAV%20Locks>Undo
> changes" and many others
> <http://localhost:8080/acl_users/manage_permissionForm?permission_to_manage=Undo%20changes>.
> Zope comes with a built-in authorization module that I want to replace
> with *Permis*. The last version of Zope (version *3*) came with a new
> *XML RBAC Policy* called *ZCML* stands for *Zope Control Markup
> Language*. *ZCML* has many great features but *Permis* is much more
> stronger than *ZCML*. *ZCML* supports having *spaces* in the *Action*
> names just like *Permis* supports having *spaces* in the *Role* names.
> The name is just an *XML value* between two *quotes ""*. e.g.
>     <ActionPolicy>
>         <Action Args="" Name="View management screens"/>
>         <Action Args="" Name="WebDAV Lock items"/>
>         <Action Args="" Name="WebDAV Unlock items"/>
>         <Action Args="" Name="WebDAV access"/>
>         <Action Args="" Name="Change permissions"/>
>         <Action Args="" Name="Copy or Move"/>
>         <Action Args="" Name="Manage WebDAV Locks"/>
>         <Action Args="" Name="Manage properties"/>
>         <Action Args="" Name="Manage users"/>
>         <Action Args="" Name="Take ownership"/>
>         <Action Args="" Name="Undo changes"/>
>         <Action Args="" Name="Delete objects"/>
>     </ActionPolicy>
>
> so if the *Parser* can understand a *spaced name* of *Role*, why it
> should be a problem to the *Parser* to understand *spaced name Action?*
>
> kindest regards
>
> Meitham
>

> David Chadwick wrote:
>> Hi Meitham
>>
>> How many systems support actions with spaces in them? How will parsers
>> know when an action is terminated if a space occurs in the middle?
>> Usually a space after an action signals the start of the first action
>> parameter e.g. print 6, where 6 means the number of pages
>>
>> regards
>>
>> David
>>

>> Meitham Jamaa wrote:
>>> Hi David, Geroge and Gansen,
>>>
>>> How difficult it is to make* Permis* support naming *actions* with
>>> *spaces*? Will that requires changing few parts of the code only? or it
>>> will cause many problems? :-)
>>>
>>> Many thanks
>>>
>>> Meitham

David W. Chadwick, BSc PhD
The Computing Laboratory, University of Kent, Canterbury, CT2 7NF
Skype Name: davidwchadwick
Tel: +44 1227 82 3221
Fax +44 1227 762 811
Mobile: +44 77 96 44 7184