Re: Guardian Article on CILIP

Mark Perkins lists <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 28 Nov 2006 19:42:51 +0100

'Things were ever thus' ???

This does not mean they are just, should continue, should not be fought
against...

- From a workers point of view, unpaid work is bad full stop.

As a professional, I do not mind occassional unpaid overtime, but
compulsory, permanent unpaid overtime, no. It is unprofessional.

I also think it is bad management practice as it means that the work is
'unbudgeted'. In every other sphere we ask that time is well planned and
budgeted, why not in this area???

This also comes back to respect for staff. Why should staff show respect &
flexibility for their management and employers when it is not returned?

Mark Perkins MLIS, MCLIP
www.markperkins.info

https://keyserver.pgp.com/

- -----Original Message-----
From: Chartered Library and Information Professionals
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Dobson, Malcolm
Sent: Tuesday, November 28, 2006 3:25 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Guardian Article on CILIP

When I started working in libraries (well over 30 years ago) my working
hours started when the library opened & finished when it shut. That was
'official' working hours, of course - in reality one had to start earlier to
make sure everything was ready, & finish later after tidying up etc. &
'closing time' meant just that - the doors were locked, but there could
still be people getting their books stamped. After a particularly busy
Saturday or late night it could take an hour after closing to file the
issue, shelve returned books, tidy the shelves, count the takings, etc. etc.
(& we would have change out of a fiver after a slap-up meal & a show) (fades
out mumbling 'when I were a lad...' & 'librarians today don't know when
they're well off ...')

& the point is, it's not just 'current practice' - things were ever thus.