Re: call for help_rhythm and organizing

John Cimino <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 13 Nov 2006 12:46:14 -0500

text/plain

Such incredible and pleasurable rhythm in this discussion!  I am enjoying it
tremendously and learning so much along the way.

I, too, am a musician and former science guy working in organizational,
creativity and leadership development, and as I've been following the tracks
of this discussion, a few thought fragments have come to mind.  Hope they
resonate in the mix.

Rhythm is inherently self-reflective, i.e., resembles itself in potentially
endless variation.

By definition, rhythm is not chaotic, rather an expression of order and
evolving order with an implicit sense of direction.

Rhythm invites complexification (remember John Casti's book?) and servers as
a substratum for (among other things) meaning-making.

Music's other dimensions (melody, harmony, dynamics, tempo) play on this
substratum, merge into its fabric and we now seem to achieve a level of
meaning-making alive to ideas woven with emotion, deeply felt and
wide-ranging.  (recall Bateson's "patterns which connect")  As patterns and
structures increase in scale and complexity, they begin to resemble us --
our psychies, our organizations.  They begin to tell our story achetypally.
(Miha's work is anchored in this principal.  Bravo, Miha!)

Rhythm and music entrain and captivate us, pull us into their world,
enkindle that world within us -- and we dance, physically, metaphysically.
We are pulled into a flow of life biologically, psychologically,
intellectually, spiritually.  In this sense, rhythm is perpetual invitation,
entreating our creative participation: join this community of felt
experence, be in this flow of life and add something of yours to it.

The great thing about this patterning in sound is that it our apprehension
of it is not merely intellectually, it is felt systemically and there are
virtually unstoppable consequences once this feeling enters the human
system.  You know the Gershwin "I've got rhythm; I've got music; I've got my
love.  Who could ask for anything more!"

So much for my riff.  Back to you!
John (Cimino)