DC-ARCHITECTURE@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

DC-ARCHITECTURE Home

DC-ARCHITECTURE  September 2006

DC-ARCHITECTURE September 2006

Re: ODF Metadata and DC

Andy Powell <[log in to unmask]>

DCMI Architecture Group <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 27 Sep 2006 15:07:55 +0100

At this stage, in terms of DCMI process, the issue of assigning domains
and ranges is still on the table for discussion, some of which will
happen at the Usage Board and DC Architecture meetings in Mexico next
week.

We have a proposed set of domains and ranges for all of the DCMI
propoerties in the Wiki:

http://dublincore.org/usageboardwiki/PropertyDomainsAndRanges

for consideration.  However, as noted here

http://dublincore.org/documents/2006/05/29/dc-rdf-notes/

assigning domains and ranges to DC properties that are already widely
used with literal string values is somewhat problematic.  This
particularly applies to the properties in the DCMES - the original 15 DC
elements.

One proposal, therefore, is to replicate those 15 properties in the
DCTERMS namespace and only assign domains and ranges to the properties
in that namespace - leaving the 15 original elements unchanged.

I quite like this approach.

But it does mean that you need to wait for the 15 new properties in the
DCTERMS namespace (e.g. dcterms:creator) to be created and have domains
and ranges assigned to them before you can start making use of them.
Being realistic, I wouldn't expect this to happen before Easter 2007.

Andy
--
Head of Development, Eduserv Foundation
http://www.eduserv.org.uk/foundation/