[Fwd: Professor Doug Shepherd]

Chris Cooper <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 24 Aug 2006 18:55:41 +0100

Following from some time spent in Cambridge during the days of the
Cambridge distributed system, Doug became associated with meetings in
Cosener's which were the precursors of the MSN series.

Doug's inimitable style, alluded to below in Ian Sommerville's message,
led to a short slot being included in the MSN programmes of yesteryear
entitled "Doug's talk": a consequence of his need to speak his mind but,
of course, not being willing to be tied down to a specific topic by
anything so pettifogging as producing a programme with nice tidy titles!

Chris

> Subject:
> Professor Doug Shepherd
> From:
> Ian Sommerville <[log in to unmask]>
> Date:
> Thu, 24 Aug 2006 13:21:08 +0100
> To:
>
> To:
>

> It is with great regret that I have to report the death of Professor
> Doug Shepherd, who died suddenly on 23 August 2006. Doug was Professor
> of Computing at Lancaster University from 1984 until his retirement
> through ill-health in 2002.
>
> Building on his own research interests in networking and distributed
> systems, Doug led the resurgence of the Computing Department at
> Lancaster from obscurity into its current position as one of the UK's
> leading computer science departments. He also played a major role in
> University policy making and served as Dean of the School of
> Engineering, Computing and Mathematical Sciences.
>
> Doug was a larger-than-life character who spoke his mind and had little
> time for the petty bureaucracy that pervades universities nowadays. He
> wasn't afraid to take risks and he had the integrity to accept
> responsibility when things went wrong. He particularly liked working
> with young people and a generation of his students have gone on to
> senior positions in universities and in industry.
>
> I'm sure you'll join with me in offering condolences to his wife Eileen
> and son Harry.
>
> Ian

> Prof. Ian Sommerville
> +44-1334-463279

Prof Christopher (Chris) S Cooper
Visiting Professor at Oxford Brookes University
Consultant to UKERNA
Tel: +44 (0)1854 613727 (answerphone)
Email:  [log in to unmask] / [log in to unmask]
Mobile: +44 (0)7880 730677
http://cms.brookes.ac.uk/staff/ChrisCooper/
Personal email: [log in to unmask]

Address for all correspondence: