Re: Arts of Leadership Course

Steve Taylor <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 25 Aug 2006 14:45:20 -0400

Hi Daved (and Nancy and David and others),

Just to answer Daved's, questions - I have the students do the leadership
story in the second half of the course.  It feels like it takes a lot of
reflection and work to get to the place where they can tell a story about
who they are as a leader and have it be a deep and meaningful experience.

And to answer your question about what I mean by using practices from
artists rather than intellectual/critical work, I have attached a chapter
(written for the hopefully soon to be released Sage Handbook of New &
Emerging Approaches to Management & Organization, nudge, nudge dear editors)
that makes the argument in more detail and offers a couple of examples (one
in considerable detail).

- Steve

Ps - be on the lookout for Nancy's article on Arts & Leadership in AMLE
(when will it be out?), it's excellent!

On 8/25/06 1:46 PM, "Daved Barry" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Hi Nancy (and Steve and David),
>

> Yes, Iıd love to see my course too‹I wish I were further along with my
> thinking! Iım a bit . . . well, not quite nervous but also not quite calm
> about it. Thereıs so much thatıs happening in this field (amazing that we
> can actually call it a field now!) and trying to do it justice is getting
> difficult. Iıd like to have a solid year to teach it rather than just a
> semester. Iım sharing your note below (hope itıs okay) in the interests of
> getting more discussion going around different teaching ideas, resources,
> devices, and so on‹and (beginning) to co-create something. We had a small
> flurry on the aacorn list a few years ago, before it was archived, that got
> a bit into films that people were using, but I donıt think thereıs been much
> teaching discussion apart from that.
>

> One thing that strikes me about your syllabus is the use of different
> artistic metaphors each day (leadership as music, as visual art, as creative
> writing, storytelling, etc.). A few years ago I taught a course at CBS
> called ³Beauty and the Business², where I did something a little similar
> (and which is similar to David Cowanıs course where he has students create a
> Œwarrior shieldı). I had execs come in from different industries (a research
> institute, a business incubator, the Danish finance ministry, and a couple
> of others) and present a live case. Then I had student groups work from a
> particular medium‹music, visual art, literature, and architecture‹choosing a
> particular artist/aesthetic and then applying that aesthetic to the
> presented problem. So one group applied Mozartıs aethetics while another
> worked with a jazz groupıs style, and so on. On the whole, it was one of the
> better classes Iıve run‹some very inventive things came out. In one case, a
> group was working with Helmut Newtonıs stuff (the guy who photographed
> beautiful women in very ugly settings)‹they told the exec that he was
> actually a voyeur, but not a very good one‹that he needed to celebrate the
> ugly more. Quite upending.
>

> Iıll have a think about what youıve sent me here (sounds like the Zander
> book is a must read). Steve, where you say ³it is important to draw on
> practices/techniques from the actual practice of art (I tend to use theater
> exercises) rather than just critical/intellectual approaches to art² can you
> give me an example or two? Also, do you have them write the leadership story
> in the first part or the second part of the term (where you said ³I have the
> students write and perform a leadership story that communicates to the
> audience who they are who they want to be as a leader.²) Thanks. D.
>

>   _____

Steven S. Taylor, PhD
Assistant Professor
Worcester Polytechnic Institute