BRITARCH July 2006

Re: Heritage & carbon emissions

Nick Boldrini <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 13 Jul 2006 12:01:26 +0100

Hi Mike

I would appreciate it if you didn't put words in my mouth (or
fingertips in the age of typing) especially when they misrepresent my
views or actions.

How you get from me suggesting that the approach from the National
Trust is better than the WHC approach, to an (incorrect) idea of what I
think future society is like is beyond me, but you are wrong wrong WRONG
about my views. Where the hell did you get Solar Powered cars from in
any of what I wrote?

I would appreciate a public apology.

If your actually interested in my view, it is (generically) that all we
can do at the moment is use what time we have left as a fossil - fueled
economy (ie before oil and coal etc run out, or we stop burning them to
prevent catstrophic climate change) to re-organise our society along
sustainable lines, or do nothing and wait for the stuff to hit the fan.

The issue is how much time do we have and is it enough time to make the
cultural, economic, social, technological, engineering, and political
(and some others I may have forgotton) changes.

Whether the Heritage industry as a whole (or many other 'luxury'
industries such as sports, films, tv,music, flower shops, living more
than 5 miles from where you work, eating things from more than 50 miles
away,...) survive those changes is anyone's guess. I hope so and think
it is possible, but some hard choices will have to be made at some point
- what is more important - conserving this fantastic heritage asset or
destroying it to make way for whatever will save our bacon - no prizes
for guessing the likely outcome.

The best we can do as archaeologists is follow the National Trusts
lead, and help implement solutions. As individuals it is to influence
those who make decisions to take action (and take actions ourselves
NOW), all of which make it more likely that the time won't come where
heritage issues are abandoned in favour of other priorities, and
everything that has been developed over the last 100 years or so is
wasted

RANT ENDS

Returning to Mike's archaeological point about long term plans - the
longest plan I have seen in archaeology is from EH and I think that only
goes up to 2010, any further ahead and you are really guessing.

best wishes

Nick Boldrini
Historic Environment Record Officer
Heritage Section
Countryside Service
North Yorkshire County Council
County Hall
Northallerton
DL7 8AH
Direct Dial (01609) 532331

Conserving North Yorkshire's heritage - encouraging sustainable access
www.northyorks.gov.uk/archaeology

This email is personal. It is not authorised by or sent on behalf of
North Yorkshire
County Council, however, the Council has the right and does inspect
emails sent from
and to its computer system. This email is the sole responsibility of
the sender

>>> [log in to unmask] 13/07/2006 11:01:00 >>>
How does this discussion impact archaeology, in e.g. making long term
plans
or furbishing buildings, or starting a business?

The question boils down to a difference of opinion on whether we
should
"choose to be green" and therefore those in archaeology should be
Green. Or
whether the depletion of oil and gas will force us to reduce energy
consumption, as energy prices rise with the likelihood of economic
recession.

What we both agree on is that energy will be a major issue, and
archaeologists should plan to use less energy in future. Nick would
maintain
this is a choice, I would maintain that energy prices will rise so that
we
have no choice.

Under Nick's model we will all carry on living as we are now, visitors
will
continue to visit Historical monuments, and we will magically invent
solar
powered electric cars that can travel further than a milkfloat (dig!)

Under my projections, we will see increasing oil and gas prices, a
series of
economic crisis and perhaps a substantial reduction in leisure
activities
such as visiting remote historical monuments. There is also an
increased
likelihood of world political crisis.

Both of us are talking about a 20+ year time period.

What does it mean? I don't know if Nick would agree, but I planning
new
buildings & longer projects, I would assume all energy prices (petrol,
heating and electricity) will double** over the next 10-20 years.

Mike

**based on elasticity of demand, the price of renewables life
off-shore
wind, etc. The highest increases will occur in crude oil prices, but as
we
already have high taxes on petrol at the pump, the relative price
increase
will be lower. Gas (our main fuel for heating) is the next major
concern as
North Sea gas will be completely exhausted in this period. There are
however
alternatives like coal-gas. Electricity is the easiest fuel to replace,
and
I think both Nick and me agree that the number of windmills will
dramatically increase over the next few years.