BRITARCH July 2006

Re: Heritage & carbon emissions

Michael Haseler <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 12 Jul 2006 17:34:42 +0100

I thought you were going to say:

just another cycle, in the doomsday speculation of global warming, global
cooling, millennium bug, WMD, immigration, Bird Flu, oil crisis, etc.

Personally, I can't wait for global warming to get on and make our climate
warmer (but like all doomsday scenarios, we have the myth that the gulf
stream will disappear - which is technically impossible because the Gulf
stream is driven by near equatorial trade winds and not by Arctic sea
salinity levels)

There was a program I half listened to last night on the El Ninio and its
potential contribution to the demise of Ur. It's pretty clear that without
oil and gas we literally don't have the land to feed ourselves in the UK, so
arguably we face a very similar fate to Ur.

The real difference, between Ur and Us, is not that our civilisation is
inevitably doomed, but that we just might see it coming! We can't use the
old solution of drawing lots and cast half the population into boats and
send them away, but perhaps we might see a Chinese style "one family
one-child policy" - does it have any other historical presidents?

Mike