BRITARCH July 2006

Re: IPLDP

Gareth Talbot <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 10 Jul 2006 12:46:52 +0100

That reminds me of the time I worked in Russia - where army conscripts had
to undertake cultural service, we had several of them working with us on
various sites doing the heavy work, but also learning various survey and
excavation techniques. They also attended field visits to cultural centres
and suchlike - seemed to be a good way to instill some national pride.

Also made one appreciate the easy life we lead when you listened to some
of their horror stories about their time in the army....certainly makes
you think twice about moaning about the weather....

On Mon, 10 Jul 2006 11:52:06 +0100, John Wood <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>One wonders whether British archaeology/heritage could take advantage of
the Initial Police Learning and Development Programme.

>  As stated on the Hampshire Constabulry website:
>
>  'One of the key factors for the modernisation of the probationer
training programme is community involvement. What does community
involvement mean? There is no simple answer and can be whatever will
ensure that student officers are better able to understand and meet the
needs of the community they will be policing.

>Each individual student officer will be placed with a community group,
voluntary organisation or charity for five days. The aim of this community
placement is to enhance the student officer’s understanding of other
organisations, diverse communities and groups within their police area and
the issues that affect them.'

>  Could this be a potential for free 'trench fodder' or on a more serious
note help to raise awareness of heritage matters within our regional law
enforcing agencies?

>  If probational police officers were given an experience of
archaeology/heritage it may influence there outlook of such matters with
regard to illegal archaeological practice and provide support within the
regional forces.