Help for EMBODIMENT Archives

EMBODIMENT Archives

EMBODIMENT@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

EMBODIMENT Home

EMBODIMENT  July 2006

EMBODIMENT July 2006

Introduction - technology, performance and embodiement

Claire Welsby <[log in to unmask]>

Interdisciplinary discussion on human embodiment <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 19 Jul 2006 10:35:22 +0100

Hi there,

Thought i'd post a quick note to introduce myself...

My background is in performance and technology but at the moment my main
point of focus is on writing as it seems there is a space that needs filling
- particularly across live art and dance.

My overarching focus is on exploreing the impact and implications increased
technological integrations has for how we engage, explore and experience the
body, movement space time and performance.  I'm particularly interested in
the impact technology has on how we understand and engage with our bodies
and physicality in 'networked' & 'digital' spaces.   That includes the space
and transitions ocurring within and between digital/online and real
space/time zones.

In addition to the above - other discussions I'd like to engage in here (if
anyone's interested) would be the politics of embodiement in real life and
online i.e. the difference and commonalities of embodied manifestations in
real and virtual life - interesting places to explore this issue might be
MMORPG's like second life and everquest - and social online communities like
myspace.

For info - I'm nearing the end of an article about technology and
contemporary dance.  I'd be happy to post for comment when it's in a decent
state if people are interested?  LEt me know.

- claire_w -
PS I'm off on me holidays tomorrow, so any response to comments may be
delayed a bit...sorry...