This is a problem i have spent a lot of time looking at with out much
success. I have encountered it when switching from Linux Open Office
applications to Analysis (in at least the last two versions of Analysis). I
find that immediately after i have opened Analysis I can switch to and from
Open Office quickly, but the more I use Analysis the slower it is to recover
from open office until eventually it refuses to return to Analysis at all
(even though all other programmes are ok including open office) and the only
remedy is to use a kill -9 function in a linux terminal. This problem occurs
irrespective of which rendering system I use and reaches a stand still after
about 3 or 4 days of analysis use. When Analysis is hanging "top" reports
99% cpu usage for python.
The problem is not purely a time issue as it only develops when Analysis is
actually being used and not if it is simply left open for a week. I have
kept a close eye on the memory and % cpu usage of python as reported by
"top" and this slowly creeps up each time an operation is carried out in
Analysis. This drops away after a few seconds when i switch away from
Analysis but strangeley skyrockets when I switch to Open Office(95% cpu
ucage)?? and doesn't drop away again even if I close Open Office or switch
to another desk top. At this point the rest of the computer works fine but
if i try to switch to Analysis all i get is the empty frames super imposed
upon the previous screen i had open. Digging further I have found that after
a few days use I get a small spike in cpu usage of python (~20%) even when
switching between empty desktops although unlike in the case of open office
this spike dies away quite quickly.
Immediately after having killed off Analysis and re opening it I get no such
behaviour even when switching to and from Open Office.
At first we thought it was due to problems with swap space but this is not
the case as i upgraded my memory to avoid using swap space and I still get
the problem even though there plenty of free physical memory and no swap
space is being used.
The only solution I have at the moment is to save my project each time
before I switch to Open Office in case it irretrievably hangs and restart
Analysis each time the switching starts to slow down. (slightly irritating
as i am using Open Office as an assignment book keeping programme)
Hope this is of use.