BRITARCH June 2006

Re: Who do i contact?

Trevor Dunkerley <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 15 Jun 2006 21:14:48 +0100

Andy,

I don't know if this is any help at all, but when I had a similar situation
develop in Combe Martin, in North Devon, I wrote a large Plackard of the
gist of 'heritage vandals get lost', and sat in the road infront of the
site! O.K., I was nearly run over by a landrover by the owner of the site
driving, was threatened with physical and verbal abuse, was called a total
nutter by people who should know better, but this did attract the press, and
despite their best efforts the site was totally destroyed.

If nothing else I have the satisfaction of knowing that I am considered a
total nutter, and I am sure that because of my actions, local developers
think twice before taking me on. If you believe strongly enough in your
cause, then fight for it, despite the flack you will get!

Don't expect archaeologists to fight for your cause, you are on your own
brother! Professional archaeologist have too much to lose to get involved
and planning departments are a total load of crap when it comes down to the
rights or wrongs of heritage management!

Basically the whole system stinks and at the end of the day it is down to
individuals like yourself to create such a stink that you have to be taken
notice of! Join the Club Andy - Fight for what you believe is right! You
will not win any friends by it - but so what!

Kindest regards,

Trevor