FRIENDSOFWISDOM@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

FRIENDSOFWISDOM Home

FRIENDSOFWISDOM  May 2006

FRIENDSOFWISDOM May 2006

Height of folly

Richard Trowbridge <[log in to unmask]>

Group concerned that academia should seek and promote wisdom <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 18 May 2006 21:31:25 -0400

Hi Bob,

Thanks for your thoughts, which are certainly valid, yet not the only way to
look at wisdom. My own view is that there are many aspects of wisdom that
can be improved by conscious effort, such as openness, self-knowledge,
empathy, prioritizing, rationality, holistic thinking, and humility. Why
not?

You wrote
It would be the height of folly to claim to have wisdom, to seek to set up
any kind of authority on it, or to try and promote it in anyone but oneself

Personally, I believe it is a mistake to think of wisdom as something either
unattainably exalted, or that to help others cultivate it requires arrogance
or folly--any more than learning anything else. Juan Pascual-Leone
(1990:245) articulates a general consensus among current psychologist
researchers on wisdom when he calls it “the ultimate possible achievement of
a normal person’s growth.” Why not promote wisdom as a priority, for
individuals and society in general? We're all learning.

Etienne Gilson, (1951:2), reminds us that “there was a time, in ancient
Greece, when philosophy. . . . was, precisely, a life wholly dedicated to
the pursuit of wisdom.” Philosophy was not limited to academics, it was a
way of life cultivated by people who loved wisdom. In What Is Ancient
Philosophy? (2002:4) Pierre Hadot writes that for the Greeks, “Philosophy is
merely a preparatory exercise for wisdom. . . . . a discourse and a way of
life which tend toward wisdom without ever achieving it.” Hadot, in fact,
describes a number of exercises that were used.

You also wrote,
but perhaps I am in the wrong place, and talking about something completely
different using the same word.

I don't think you're talking about something completely different using the
same word--but what do you think of Nick's definition of wisdom as “the
capacity to realize what is of value in life”?

With best regards,
Richard
www.flourishingearth.org
   All people will be able to flourish in a flourishing natural environment