Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: Snap All Three Auteurs

Stephen Vincent <[log in to unmask]>

Poetryetc provides a venue for a dialogue relating to poetry and poetics <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 2 Mar 2006 23:22:59 -0800

text/plain

Hi Rebecca:
Thanks for your own intriguing responses. I would suggest two things:

1. I see your take on Crusoe - but the Robinson, unless I am getting him
confused - is also a "cast out" personae/character in Weldon Kees' work. At
least that Robinson was also part of the reference of earlier parts of this
thread. But, anyway, I was not thinking in the direction of your concerns
with a search for the 'other' in terms of a feminine or racially or
geographically defined subject (to be subjected). I think I am talking about
someone who remains "other" - in fact may be, for example, black, or for all
social purposes, invisible - such as Ralph Ellison's Invisible Man.

2.  In terms of "reality" I don't believe I mentioned any assumption of a
'fixed point'! Communities, utopian or pragmatically defined are, by
definition, not going to be ever 'fixed' into some permanently stable site.
In terms of women and utopia, I think recent history is full of examples of
various women's collectives with utopian aspirations. They must have missed
your awareness.
The notion that women are more likely than men to experience the
contemporary (reality) as more fragmented and provisional slides into gender
assumptions and separatisms that I don't find productive or true of my own
life, as well as many of the lives I see around me, men and women. This is
not to discount the 'big boys run the school' world - so obviously true with
the current administration of the USA (but what a band of hysterics and
rookie and dangerous fuckups).

Yes, you can find angels anywhere - provisionally! And I would say that
writing built on 'im'provisional' responses to time (as different from
formal impositions) engages me the most, as well as the writers I read.

I remain interested - if there is more - where Edmund may be going with
this. But may he's done it - particularly those Egyptian writers
(contemporary) that he suggested who have taken the genre of the "cast out"
into new directions. I certainly do not want to suffocate his fresh insights
(to me) with my assumptions.

Stephen V