POETRYETC@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

POETRYETC Home

POETRYETC  March 2006

POETRYETC March 2006

Re: Help! The grass is singing

Mark Weiss <[log in to unmask]>

Poetryetc provides a venue for a dialogue relating to poetry and poetics <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 28 Mar 2006 18:54:22 -0500

For some of us Eliot is too irrelevant to be in rebellion against or
conversation with, for others not. I'm not crazy about pineapple
pizza--hell, I think it's a crime against god and man--but I'm not in
dialogue with it either.

For the record, Chaucer appeared to like April, and sprigtime in
general, which, aside from their other allures, would be easy to
understand if one lived in a world without  central heating. "Wan
that April with his shoures soote/ the droght of March hath perced to
the rote/ and bathed every veyne in swich licoor/ from which virtu
engendred is the floor..." etc. (I take no responsibility for my
spelling or Chaucer's) He probably got the idea from all them birds
and flowers he talks about. There are endless poems and songs to
spring before that, of course. Eliot is telling us that seeing all
that fecundity reminds him that not only isn't he getting any but he
doesn't care to get any. I may be oversimplifying.

Mark