Help for LIS-MAPS Archives

LIS-MAPS Archives

lis-maps@jiscmail.ac.uk

LIS-MAPS Home

LIS-MAPS  February 2006

LIS-MAPS February 2006

Re: 17c charts of the English and Scottish coast

"Fleet, Christopher" <[log in to unmask]>

A forum for issues related to map & spatial data librarianship <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 24 Feb 2006 11:29:55 -0000

Dear Sheena,

Further to Francis' message (being somewhat slower off the mark up here), could I quickly add:

1. You said that you had no luck with the NLS website, but we have sixteen or so 17th century charts of Scottish coasts at: http://www.nls.uk/digitallibrary/map/early/coasts.html. These include Greenvile Collins charts of the 1690s; John Adair's charts surveyed at a similar time and published in his 1703 "Description of the sea-coast and islands of Scotland" are also online.

2. There are other 17th century charts again focusing on Scottish coasts, including those by Seller on the Charting the Nation website: http://www.chartingthenation.lib.ed.ac.uk/

3. The National Maritime Museum also has a few charts by Seller et al. including those of English coasts:
http://www.nmm.ac.uk/collections/

We have more material scanned than is presently online on the NLS website, so your researcher would be welcome to contact us (mailto:[log in to unmask]) if they have a need for a specific image. We have a copy of Seller's Coasting Pilot (1671 - EU.6.M), but yet not scanned... our scanning prices are at: http://www.nls.uk/info/copyingservices/digital_imaging.html !

Kind regards,

Chris Fleet
Deputy Map Curator
National Library of Scotland