ACADEMIC-STUDY-MAGIC  February 2006

ACADEMIC-STUDY-MAGIC February 2006

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Methodology: WAS Persuasions of the Witch's Craft

"Christopher I. Lehrich" <[log in to unmask]>

Society for The Academic Study of Magic <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 13 Feb 2006 14:19:40 -0500

text/plain

jacqueline simpson wrote:

>Interesting, what you say about TL's undamaged
>reputation in USA, whereas in my (limited) experience
>UK folklorists/anthropologists disapproved of her
>being so tolerant towards the outlooks and practices
>she described --- exactly the opposite reason to that
>given by some participants in theis list! As a friend
>of mine used to say, 'If you walk down the middle of
>the road you're probably on the right track, but you
>do get shot at from both sides.'
>
>Jacqueline

Jacqueline hits the nail on the head here.  Look back over this whole
discussion for a minute.  Notice that Luhrman has simultaneously been
accused of (or at least criticized for) too much distance, too much
attempt at objectivity, too much involvement, too much subjectivity.
Notice also the apparent disparities between the range of academic
replies and those of the informants.

To be sure, the book is hardly perfect, but the methodological and
epistemological challenges here are obviously extreme.  I doubt very
much whether it is possible to write an analytical book focused on
modern practitioner communities, in the US or the UK, that pleases more
or less everyone.  My experience at the Association for the Study of
Esotericism conference was indicative here, I thought: like this list,
the conference is intended to be scholarly and basically academic, and
nearly all papers fit that model.  My own paper remarked on this
directly, discussing methodological issues.  After the paper, several
practitioners took issue with this, because from their perspective
methodology must accept the reality (in every sense) of magical effects;
on a logical basis, however, there is no reason whatever that such an a
priori decision must be made.

In the end, the large version of this question -- reality, objectivity,
perspective -- is going to be the fundamental methodological problem of
the scholarly study of magic.  Let's be straightforward about it: a
great many academics still think magic is basically silly or
irrational.  Luhrman had this problem with her colleagues, and Hutton
has mentioned it many times; I've had the same experience.  This isn't
something that is going to go away easily, for a number of institutional
and structural reasons mostly having to do with the construction of
rationality within mainstream western intellectual history of the last
few centuries.  As I see it, there are therefore three basic options:

1. Insist upon a scientific objective-style model approach, accepting a
radical disparity between practitioner perspectives and thought and
scholarly ones.  This is currently championed by W. Hanegraaff, who has
revived Marvin Harris's anthropological re-formulation of Pike's
"emic/etic."

2. Insist upon the definite validity and reality of the practitioner
perspective and strive to represent that directly.  This is very much a
continuation of the W.C.Smith approach, under which the scholar often
becomes something of an advocate for the informants.

3. Seek alternative analytical and philosophical means to challenge the
problem head-on.

My own position is as follows:

#1 will fail.  Practitioners are not, I think, going to be happy with
this radical divorce from their way of looking at the world.  I gather
something of this response has occurred in reference to Luhrmann; it
should be considerably stronger in reference to Hanegraaff and his
approach.  At the same time, anthropologists and members of some allied
disciplines largely discarded Harris's "emic/etic" thing some 15-20
years ago, for good reason.  People who know those debates are likely to
find Hanegraaff's approach naive and even ignorant, especially
considering that I find no awareness of these debates in his
bibliography or notes (admittedly I have not read all his methodological
articles yet).  Thus this solution will displease practitioners, prompt
scorn from cutting-edge academics, and furthermore fail intellectually
for the very reasons this distinction didn't work in the first place.

#2 will fail.  It may please practitioners; in the short run, it might
please some academics, but if I may be blunt the people who really love
this sort of approach often love it because it allows them to assuage
colonial and related guilt.  There is a lot of defending the oppressed
and the like, which is why such approaches often work in tandem with
analyses of identity politics.  While I think this is valuable on its
own merits, it seems to be on the wane in anthropology and religious
studies; once again, our little subfield is coming to the party rather
late.  I would guess that in ten years this sort of approach will be
considered old-fashioned, much as I think Hanegraaff's approach is
old-fashioned now.  Furthermore, in the end this approach does not so
much attempt a solution to the epistemological or methodological problem
(unlike #1, for example) as set it aside for later.

#3 is the only option, I think.  The problem is that it will require a
level of theoretical and analytical sophistication that we have not yet
achieved.  As I've tried to indicate with these sketches of #1 and #2,
much of the theoretical work being done currently is subordinate to
initial presentation of material -- a necessary task, let me insist!
For example, Hanegraaff's book on the New Age is largely a summary of a
vast range of material.  Luhrmann's work also goes a long way toward
presenting a world and a worldview.  Hutton's book on Wicca is a
stunning descriptive and partly narrative history.  But in all these
works, theory is ultimately somewhat secondary, for good reasons.  These
are not books wherein we will find real answers to these hairy problems
-- nor it is reasonable to ask that of them.

Politically and institutionally, it is necessary for people studying
magic and dealing with a certain sort of academic disapproval or disdain
to demonstrate analytical superiority.  We have to be at the cutting
edge of several fields, not a little bit behind in everything.  We have
to situate ourselves and prove ourselves such that academics from
several disciplines are immediately inclined to listen to us because,
whatever the topic under analysis, we are among the most impressive and
exciting thinkers around.  And that means addressing this nightmarish
epistemological and methodological problem head-on, drawing from every
related disciplinary discussion over the last fifty years and more.

Along the way, I suspect that those of us who try this plan will find
that practitioners simply do not find us or our work interesting,
congenial, or helpful.  They will find it excessively difficult reading,
presuming enormous prior academic knowledge of a vast range of things,
and presuming most of all an extensive experience of reading highly
abstract intellectual analysis couched in a traditional academic style.
I doubt that the practitioners of my acquaintance would find this
interesting, though I can certainly hope they would not find it
offensive either.

In the end, the troubled history of this list already demonstrates the
difficulty in spades.

Practically speaking, I suggest thinking seriously about whether, as an
academic scholar of magic, you the reader are personally more committed
to the descriptive (i.e. collecting, collating, formulating, and
presenting data) or the theoretical (i.e. analyzing the methodological
and epistemological implications of such work and such data).  Obviously
there is no absolute divide, but it's a worthwhile distinction
heuristically.  My suspicion, and this is no criticism, is that most
members here are in the former camp.  That's as it should be, in my
opinion.  In that case, advancing the field institutionally is largely a
matter of meeting high standards of excellence in a particular
mainstream discipline: classics, history, anthropology, etc.  To widen
the problem beyond such a frame raises questions that simply cannot be
dealt with pragmatically or ideologically.

Chris Lehrich

--
Christopher I. Lehrich
Boston University