ACADEMIC-STUDY-MAGIC  February 2006

ACADEMIC-STUDY-MAGIC February 2006

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: Methodology: WAS Persuasions of the Witch's Craft

Sabina Magliocco <[log in to unmask]>

Society for The Academic Study of Magic <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 14 Feb 2006 22:16:03 -0800

text/plain

Hi Jacqueline,

My ritual/ magic-as-art metaphor worked best in my study of US Neopaganism and revival Witchcraft, where practitioners who for the most part did not start out with an enchanted worldview reclaimed religious practices in which magic is integral.  Like Caroline in earlier posts, I was fascinated by ritual as an aesthetic experience, and tried applying the metaphor to magic, since for Neopagans magic and ritual are closely intertwined.

I think the metaphor works less well in traditional contexts, such as what you describe; I agree that the attribution of evil to witchcraft or another supernatural source is more like what we categorize as religion than art.  Still, among the healers I studied in Campania and the Apennine last summer and fall, there is an art to curing, to counter-magic.  There is certainly a performance aspect to the healings; some healers are much more showy than others.  But even the most low-key ones are conscious of a kind of aesthetic in their work: things need to be done in a particular order, at a given time, in a specific place.  In cases in which music and dance are part of the cure, the magic quite literally *is* art.

In response to the second part of your post, I would never say that only an insider can understand and write about a particular religion or practice.  The whole idea is anathema not only to my anthropological/ folkloristic intellectual formation, but to humanism as a whole.  But then, you know what I think about categories such as "insider" and "outsider" -- I'm not keen on them at all, because they essentialize the very categories they claim to be elucidating.  This kind of essentialization goes against everything we know about identity as construct, and as such shifting, negotiated and contextual.

Like Luhrmann, I too did fieldwork among Witches, Pagans and other magical practitioners.  Ultimately I became one, and have continued to practice after the end of my field project and publication of my works.  To people who want to know whether I write as an insider or an outsider, my answer is that my identity depends very much on where I am at any given moment, and on who my audience is.  For me, the essence of ethnography is that ability to shift easily and at will between frames of reference, worldviews and points of view, and to be able to make those views clear to all audiences.  In some of my written work, I've experimented with using different fonts when I write experientially and when I write analytically as a scholar, representing on the page the process of shifting consciousness that characterizes ethnographic work.   Ultimately, I believe writing ethnography is itself a magical act, as Stephen Tyler suggests in his essay "Postmodern Ethnography" (in Clifford & M!
ar!
!
cus, _Writing Culture_).

But then, as someone who grew up between two cultures, speaking several languages almost from birth, this back-and-forth shifting of consciousness, as well as the obviously relative nature of all identity, seems as natural to me as breathing.  From someone else's perspective, it may all very well sound like crazy postmodern psychobabble.

BB,
Sabina