ACADEMIC-STUDY-MAGIC@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

ACADEMIC-STUDY-MAGIC Home

ACADEMIC-STUDY-MAGIC  February 2006

ACADEMIC-STUDY-MAGIC February 2006

Persian Vampires

steve ash <[log in to unmask]>

Society for The Academic Study of Magic <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 1 Feb 2006 23:08:30 +0000

And finally there's this unrelated but cute vampire
tale from old Frankie Hartmann, which I may have
partly conflated (as I haven't read Summers for 15
years lol).

"AUTHENTICATED VAMPIRE STORY" by Franz Hartmann.
from Occult Review, September 1909

After a nobleman dies, villagers suffer an abnormally
high number of deaths among their children!

On June 10, 1909, there appeared in a prominent Vienna
paper (the Neues Wiener Journal) a notice (which I
herewith enclose) saying that the castle of B had
been burned by the populace, because there was a great
mortality among the peasant children, and it was
generally believed that this was due to the invasion
of a vampire, supposed to be the last Count B, who
died and acquired that reputation. The castle was
situated in a wild and desolate part of the Carpathian
Mountains and was formerly a fortification against the
Turks. It was not inhabited owing to its being
believed to be in the possession of ghosts, only a
wing of it was used as a dwelling for the caretaker
and his wife.

Now it so happened that when I read the above notice,
I was sitting in a coffee-house at Vienna in company
with an old friend of mine who is an experienced
occultist and editor of a well known journal and who
had spent several months in the neighborhood of the
castle. From him I obtained the following account and
it appears that the vampire in question was probably
not the old Count, but his beautiful daughter, the
Countess Elga, whose photograph, taken from the
original painting, I obtained. My friend said:

"Two years ago I was living at Hermannstadt, and being
engaged in engineering a road through the hills, I
often came within the vicinity of the old castle,
where I made the acquaintance of the old castellan, or
caretaker, and his wife, who occupied a part of the
wing of the house, almost separate from the main body
of the building. They were a quiet old couple and
rather reticent in giving information or expressing an
opinion in regard to the strange noises which were
often heard at night in the deserted halls, or of the
apparitions which the Wallachian peasants claimed to
have seen when they loitered in the surroundings after
dark. All I could gather was that the old Count was a
widower and had a beautiful daughter, who was one day
killed by a fall from her horse, and that soon after
the old man died in some mysterious manner, and the
bodies were buried in a solitary graveyard belonging
to a neighboring village. Not long after their death
an unusual mortality was noticed among the inhabitants
of the village: several children and even some grown
people died without any apparent illness; they merely
wasted away; and thus a rumor was started that the old
Count had become a vampire after his death. There is
no doubt that he was not a saint, as he was addicted
to drinking, and some shocking tales were in
circulation about his conduct and that of his
daughter; but whether or not there was any truth in
them. I am not in a position to say.

"Afterwards the property came into possession of , a
distant relative of the family, who is a young man and
officer in a cavalry regiment at Vienna. It appears
that the heir enjoyed his life at the capital and did
not trouble himself much about the old castle in the
wilderness; he did not even come to look at it, but
gave his direction by letter to the old janitor,
telling him merely to keep things in order and to
attend to repairs, if any were necessary. Thus the
castellan was actually master of the house and offered
its hospitality to me and my friends.
"One evening myself and my two assistants, Dr. E, a
young lawyer, and Mr. W, a literary man, went to
inspect the premises. First we went to the stables.
There were no horses, as they had been sold; but what
attracted our special attention was an old
queer-fashioned coach with gilded ornaments and
bearing the emblems of the family. We then inspected
the rooms, passing through some halls and gloomy
corridors, such as may be found in any old castle.
There was nothing remarkable about the furniture; but
in one of the halls there hung in a frame an
oil-painting, a portrait, representing a lady with a
large hat and wearing a fur coat. We all were
involuntarily startled on beholding this picture; not
so much on account of the beauty of the lady, but on
account of the uncanny expression of her eyes, and Dr.
E, after looking at the picture for a short time,
suddenly exclaimed

" 'How strange! The picture closes its eyes and opens
them again, and now begins to smile!' .

"Now Dr. E is a very sensitive person and has more
than once had some experience in spiritism, and we
made up our minds to form a circle for the purpose of
investigating this phenomenon. Accordingly, on the
same evening we sat around a table in an adjoining
room, forming a magnetic chain with our hands. Soon
the table began to move and the name "Elga" was
spelled. We asked who this Elga was, and the answer
was rapped out 'The lady, whose picture you have
seen.'

" 'Is the lady living?' asked Mr. W. This question
was not answered; but instead it was rapped out: 'If
W desires it, I will appear to him bodily tonight at
two o'clock.' W consented, and now the table seemed
to be endowed with life and manifested a great
affection for W; it rose on two legs and pressed
against his breast, as if it intended to embrace him.
"We inquired of the castellan whom the picture
represented; but to our surprise he did not know. He
said that it was the copy of a picture painted by the
celebrated painter Hans Markart of Vienna, and had
been bought by the old Count because its demoniacal
look pleased him so much.

"We left the castle, and W retired to his room at an
inn, a half-hour's journey distant from that place. He
was of a somewhat skeptical turn of mind, being
neither a firm believer in ghosts and apparitions nor
ready to deny their possibility. He was not afraid,
but anxious to see what would come out of his
agreement, and for the purpose of keeping himself
awake he sat down and began to write an article for a
journal.

"Towards two o'clock he heard steps on the stairs and
the door of the hall opened, there was a rustling of a
silk dress and the sound of the feet of a lady walking
to and fro in the corridor.
"It may be imagined that he was somewhat startled; but
taking courage, he said to himself: 'if this is Elga,
let her come in.' Then the door of his room opened and
Elga entered. She was most elegantly dressed and
appeared still more youthful and seductive than the
picture. There was a lounge on the other side of the
table where W was writing, and there she silently
posed herself. She did not speak, but her looks and
gestures left no doubt in regard to her desires and
intentions.

"Mr. W resisted the temptation and remained firm. It
is not known, whether he did so out of principle or
timidity or fear. Be this as it may, he kept on
writing, looking from time to time at his visitor and
silently wishing that she would leave.
At last, after half an hour, which seemed to him much
longer, the lady departed in the same manner in which
she came.

"This adventure left W no peace, and we consequently
arranged several sittings at the old castle, where a
variety of uncanny phenomena took place. Thus, for
instance, once the servant-girl was about to light a
fire in the stove, when the door of the apartment
opened and Elga stood there. The girl, frightened out
of her wits, rushed out of the room, tumbling down the
stairs in terror with the petroleum lamp in her hand,
which broke and came very near to setting her clothes
on fire. Lighted lamps and candles went out when
brought near the picture, and many other
'manifestations' took place, which it would be tedious
to describe; but the following incident ought not to
be omitted.

"Mr. W was at that time desirous of obtaining the
position as co-editor of a certain journal, and a few
days after the above-narrated adventure he received a
letter in which a noble lady of high position offered
him her patronage for that purpose. The writer
requested him to come to a certain place the same
evening, where he would meet a gentleman who would
give him further particulars. He went and was met by
an unknown stranger, who told him that he was
requested by the Countess Elga to invite Mr. W to a
carriage drive and that she would await him at
midnight at a certain crossing of two roads, not far
from the village. The stranger then suddenly
disappeared.

"Now it seems that Mr. W had some misgivings about
the meeting and drive and he hired a policeman as
detective to go at midnight to the appointed place, to
see what would happen. The policeman went and reported
next morning that he had seen nothing but the
well-known, old fashioned carriage from the castle
with two black horses attached to it standing there as
if waiting for somebody, and that he had no occasion
to interfere and merely waited until the carriage
moved on. When the castellan of the castle was asked,
he swore that the carriage had not been out that
night, and in fact it could not have been out, as
there were no horses to draw it.

"But this is not all, for on the following day I met a
friend who is a great skeptic and disbeliever in
ghosts and always used to laugh at such things. Now,
however, he seemed to be very serious and said: 'Last
night something very strange happened to me. At about
one o'clock this morning I returned from a late visit
and as I happened to pass the graveyard of the
village, I saw a carriage with gilded ornaments
standing at the entrance. I wondered about this taking
place at such an unusual hour, and being curious to
see what would happen, I waited. Two elegantly dressed
ladies issued from the carriage. One of these was
young and pretty, but threw at me a devilish and
scornful look as they both passed by and entered the
cemetery. There they were met by a well-dressed man,
who saluted the ladies and spoke to the younger one,
saying: "Why, Miss Elga! Are you returned so soon?"
Such a queer feeling came over me that I abruptly left
and hurried home.

"This matter has not been explained; but certain
experiments which we subsequently made with the
picture of Elga brought out some curious facts.

"To look at the picture for a certain time caused me
to feel a very disagreeable sensation in the region of
the solar plexus. I began to dislike the portrait and
proposed to destroy it. We held a sitting in the
adjoining room; the table manifested a great aversion
against my presence. It was rapped out that I should
leave the circle, and that the picture must not be
destroyed. I ordered a Bible to be brought in and read
the beginning of the first chapter of St. John,
whereupon the above-mentioned Mr. E (the medium) and
another man present claimed that they saw the picture
distorting its face. I turned the frame and pricked
the back of the picture with my penknife in different
places, and Mr. E, as well as the other man, felt all
the pricks, although they had retired to the corridor.

"I made the sign of the pentagram over the picture,
and again the two gentlemen claimed that the picture
was horribly distorting its face.

"Soon afterwards we were called away and left that
country. Of Elga I heard nothing more."

Thus far goes the account of my friend the editor.
There are several points in it which call for an
explanation. Perhaps the sages of the S.P.R. will find
it by investigating the laws of nature ruling the
astral plane, unless they prefer to take the easier
route, by proclaiming it all to be humbug and fraud.