Fwd: Richard Long at SFMOMA

Roger Day <[log in to unmask]>

Poetryetc provides a venue for a dialogue relating to poetry and poetics <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 23 Jan 2006 11:59:35 +0000

text/plain

Ummm, that went to the wrong list...

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Roger Day <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Jan 23, 2006 11:57 AM
Subject: Re: Richard Long at SFMOMA
To: UB Poetics discussion group <[log in to unmask]>

the only visual artist i know is beverley carpenter
http://www.freewebs.com/cambourneartist/. she maintains a commitment
to text, having studied under George Szirtes at one stage, although
she usually brings in somebody else to do the text - see
http://www.beverleycarpenter.co.uk/htdocs/asylum.htm. She's well,
brilliant is just one of the words that springs to mind.

i recall having a heated conversation btn myself and her boyfriend
(another visual artist, Rob Long) about a display in the Fitzwilliam
of Lucien Freuds etchings. I got fixated on the labels Freud had given
his etchings. Freud did a series of etchings direct to copper plate,
quite impressive technically speaking, except that he'd decided to
give them labels (apparently, according to freud, art gallery curators
usually screw this bit up). The choice of text seemed to me to
indicate real problems with his work, apart from the overall machismo
of his technique. For example, one portrait was entitled "head of an
irishman" (this one was particularly problematic), he didn't label the
"famous" characters (I recognised a couple of these "famous" people,
but I suspect not many below the age of 40 would do), and one "a
woman" could have done without it as the portrait had a pleasing
androgynous quality. So, I says to Rob, "don't you have a problem with
the labels?" "What labels..."

in some respect, i wonder if both parties are blind to the others
concerns because that's the way they are... poets and writers tend to
see the world wholly through text (and memory to a large extent)
whereas artists see the world through images, the here and now (the
latter makes O'Hara very interesting). As poets, I think we maintain a
touching faith in the world of text and I think we're particularly
disturbed when we meet people who don't share it. I used to measure
people in terms of their book collections, towns in how many bookshops
they had. I got ahead because I read books, wrote essays. I remember
watching Beverley tear a book up. This act seemed to me to be
rebarbative and shocking, and the act continues to echo through my
work and practice. It was one of the factors that made me look at the
tidy nest of books I had hauled with me through my life, echoing my
fixations (http://www.badstep.net/image/collage/shelford/death-of-soldiers.jpg,
which is a collage of some of the books that i owned) and aspirations
(all those computer books), and deciding that I should be a little
less attached to them and how I viewed the world through them ...

Our practices met through collage
(http://www.badstep.net/image/collage/shelford/shelford.jpg). She was
worried, I think, when I dabbled in film
(http://www.badstep.net/image/moving/index.html) then, horror of
horrors, I started into representational art
(http://www.badstep.net/image/representational/long-road-autumn-2005/index.html).
For me, drawing represents a visceral sense of the here and and now, a
thinking directly in the now, with the body.  Poetry seems to be more
about thought, memory, recovery, contemplation and semantics of text.
My sense so far is that poetry and art don't meet easily. See
http://sherbooke.livejournal.com/2006/01/21/ for example. (apologies
that this has turned into an advert for my amateur scratchings). Ummm.
A friend of mine in Cambridge, a poet, is a watercolourist. I'll have
to think on this. The thoughts aren't fully formed yet.

Actually, Richard Long reminds me of  Lottie Glob, a danish sculptor
who settled in Durness in Scotland
(http://www.durness.org/Balnakeil%20Craft%20Village.htm). She goes off
for days or weeks into the mountains with nothing but some food and a
plastic bag, and deposits her sculptures in the mountains. None of her
work strikes me as being particularly literate. I don't know her
practise, but i'm willing to wager that she doesnt grok "the word"
either in such a big way. I almost met her, but she was out in the
hills somewhere...

Alison's comment about inter-disciplinary curiousity is interesting.
It's not that this has just happened. People - particularly visual
artists, have rubbed along without recourse to other disciplines quite
happily for a long time now as far as I can see. There's a whole
history of it. Read any biog of the major artists, look at photographs
of them in their studios, their homes. I think you'll search a long
time before you find evidence of books in those photos. Even more so,
evidence of the kind that Stephen seems to long for. I'm not saying it
doesn't happen, i just think it's rare.

The book isn't the only means of carrying knowledge in the world. In
fact, for Richard Long, it might be a drag on his work, it might
"poison"  or "pollute" the way he looks at the world. I'm not saying
this is so, I'm just postulating the counter theory that reliance on
text isn't always good. Recourse to a literate history might be
counter-productive or "evil" putting it in more fashionable terms.

ahh, work calls...

Roger

--
http://www.badstep.net/