URB-GEOG-FORUM@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

URB-GEOG-FORUM Home

URB-GEOG-FORUM  January 2006

URB-GEOG-FORUM January 2006

Urban@LSE/Research

Scott Rodgers <[log in to unmask]>

Urban Geography Discussion and Announcement Forum <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 13 Jan 2006 16:08:52 +0000

Forwarded on behalf of Andy C. Pratt, LSE:

Urban@LSE/Research

The LSE is proud to announce that it has established a Centre for Urban
Research. Plans are in hand to establish this as a premier centre for
Contemporary Urban Research and Debate. An initial outline of our activities
can be found here:
http://www.lse.ac.uk/collections/geographyAndEnvironment/LSE%20Urban%20Resea
rch%20Centre%20Main.htm

The Centre is linked to our new teaching grouping of Urban studies ­ Urban
@LSE, a link to this can be found here:
http://www.lse.ac.uk/collections/urbanAtLSE/

In both cases the new grouping has two functions: first, to integrate and
develop the activities that already exist at LSE in the urban domain,
second, to develop a new robust and integrated urban agenda.

Plans and activities will develop quickly, and we will keep you updated. At
this point I would like to take this opportunity to let you know of four
lectures and seminars that may be of interest this month:

1. Professor Lila Leontidou , Dean, School of Humanities, Hellenic Open
University, Greece

'SPATIALITIES OF URBANISM IN MODERN GREEK POLITICAL CULTURE'

Tuesday 17 January 2006 , 18:00 - 19:30 ,Room J116, Cowdray House, LSE

Hellenic Observatory

2. Professor David Harvey distinguished professor at the City University of
New York Graduate Centre.

'Neoliberalism and the City'

Wednesday 18 January 2006 Time: 6.30pm Venue: Old Theatre, Old Building
Chair: Dr John Chalcraft

This event is free and open to all with no ticket required. Entry is on a
first come, first serve basis. For further information email
[log in to unmask] or phone 020 7955 6043.

3. Deborah Potts (King¹s College London)

City life in Zimbabwe at a time of Fear and Loathing: Urban Planning, Urban
Poverty and Operation Murambatsvina (Clear Out the Trash)

Thursday 19th January 6-7:30pm, Seligman Library, A607 (sixth floor Old
Building)

For further information please contact Girish Daswani ([log in to unmask])

4. Professor David Frisby, Department of Sociology, LSE

'Contested Streets and Contrary Imaginaries in Vienna around 1900'

Thursday 19th January, 17.00-18.30pm in S421 (St Clements House).

Contact [log in to unmask]

5. Frannie A. Léautier, Vice President, World Bank Institute, The World Bank

'Launch of Cities in a Globalizing World | Governance, Performance, and
Sustainability'

Monday 23rd January,  2.00 p.m. - 3.30 p.m

LSE Old Theatre, Ground Floor, Old Building, Houghton Street, London WC2A
2AE

This event is free and open to all with no ticket required. Entry is
primarily on a first come, first served basis, but we do have a small number
of reserved seats available. To request a seat, please email Sue
([log in to unmask])  or call 020 7955 6252 by Wednesday 18th January.

Andy C Pratt, Director of Urban@LSE/Research