The Disability-Research Discussion List

Managed by the Centre for Disability Studies at the University of Leeds

Help for DISABILITY-RESEARCH Archives

DISABILITY-RESEARCH Archives

DISABILITY-RESEARCH Archives

DISABILITY-RESEARCH@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

DISABILITY-RESEARCH Home

DISABILITY-RESEARCH Home

DISABILITY-RESEARCH  January 2006

DISABILITY-RESEARCH January 2006

Re: documentary and relevant people

A Velarde <[log in to unmask]>

A Velarde <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 19 Jan 2006 09:43:20 -0000

Hi Carol.
-definition. It is entirely mine.
-'viewer': The viewer is not 'ignorant'. As any person who is born in an
episteme, and we all are; we live inside an hegemonic discourse which is
retransmitted and recreated all the time. The viewer is just more exposed
-the 'dis-abled': is a constructed category.  I do not make much of the
category, we are all impaired in some way a or another, even the so called
abled/'normal'. The persons who can gain some status of 'authorised
interlocutor', whether this is circumstantial or not, should use it for
emancipatory purpose, if one is 'aware' of the normalising powers of the
episteme. disabled people in opulent societies are given some space for
this. Other oppressed categories in the world are not given that
possibility/luxury. Foucault implied that this is a power of resistance. O
course you could also go 'happy go larry'- no relation to our famous member-
and say 'what you have been constructed to think' ('the  mighty truth'). And
be 'famous' for being in the show/circus.
-pros cons: pros: be aware that the truth has always been a political battle
of discourses.The liberal say: truth will set you free' but this is  a half
truth. Truth will make you enter into another circle of hegemonic dominance.
Epistemologically, the enlightenment does not have a project.  Cons:  would
never be able to believe in anyone, not even your mates in the labour or
communist party. Which I gather some will say it is good not to trust them
anyway.
-sex effect: I gather weather the curiosity of the viewer via ITV, it is its
Aquiles heel. It gives you a chance.  The episteme incapacity for oversee
and control everything. This 'big brother' has been able to dissect the
body, and now has a voyeuristic anger.The resistant warrior will give them a
window but not for free, The 'agent' would be able to send two or three
messages of resistance in between. That is the importance of the 'right'
person. Who is she/he? Don't know. Could be anyone. Even the most prepared
may not be. The message not necessary depends on the agent but sometimes on
the context and the circumstance. This is a mystery to me. Hence, the
importance of  being at the right time and the right moment.
Andy