Minutes of the 227th GridPP PMB meeting

Tony Doyle <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 11 Sep 2006 12:07:24 +0100

Dear All,

     Please find attached the weekly GridPP Project Management
Board Meeting minutes. The latest minutes can be found each week in:

http://www.gridpp.ac.uk/php/pmb/minutes.php?latest

as well as being listed with other minutes at:

http://www.gridpp.ac.uk/php/pmb/minutes.php

Cheers, Tony
Tony Doyle, GridPP Project Leader            Telephone: +44-141-330 5899
Rm 478, Kelvin Building                        Telefax: +44-141-330 5881
Dept of Physics and Astronomy           EMail: [log in to unmask]
University of Glasgow             Web: http://ppewww.ph.gla.ac.uk/~doyle
G12 8QQ, UK                                      Video - IP: 194.36.1.33

GridPP PMB Minutes 227 - 4 September 2006 ========================================= Present: Tony Doyle, Stephen Burke, Dave Newbold, Peter Clarke, Jeremy Coles, Glenn Patrick, Robin Middleton, John Gordon, David Britton, David Kelsey, Steve Lloyd, Neil Geddes, Suzanne Scott (Minutes) Apologies: Sarah Pearce, Roger Jones, Andrew Sansum, Tony Cass 1. Referee's Comments ====================== TD reported that two Referees' Reports had been received, one more straightforward than the other. The PMB were asked to note especially the comment that timescales and milestones were 'hard to find', and that PPRP might think that this is an issue - was a metaplan required? Did anyone receive added comments for Institution input? No-one had received any comments. It was noted that in terms of programme plan, an outline of timescales and milestones would probably have to be provided by the meeting on 8 November. It was acknowledged that an attempt had been made in the original draft to add-in high-level milestones per section, but this had proved both problematic and unworkable. It would be possible at this point to provide context and emphasise that when the project is actually up and running, clear milestones and timescales are easier to define for these effectively guide progress. It was agreed that TD would make a statement referring back to the proposal pointing out that we are fully in control of project management. SL noted that in the last point regarding resources, where the question was did we have enough manpower, Tier-2 is underfunded. TD agreed that this statement should be made: that Tier-2 is underfunded and that the resources are relatively inaccurate. We will be required to respond to these points raised, on the day, and TD suggested that we highlight the points with a few short slides giving our replies. This was agreed, and the PMB went through each point in turn as follows: a. is the science high quality? ------------------------------ PC suggested that the points made are generally 'true', and that we should modify our response accordingly - however the comments were irrelevant in the context of LHC startup. It was agreed to approach the Referee's position but with a focus on the overall project goal. TD noted that GP had suggested classifying the discussion along three lines or levels (see email of 1st Sept) and we therefore need a set of slides relating to these responses. TD agreed to write a set of draft slides this evening. DB was not available. Responses were requested before Wednesday. The slides were not to dominate the proposal but show that we have looked at the Referees' comments. TD suggested that general statements could be made by way of introduction to the slides: - we are at the forefront of Grid development - we do participate with GGF re standardisation which we could adopt - re OMII: UK versus EU: there is convergence between OMII Europe and EGEE. We evaluated OMII and had no convergence at that time - if we looked at this five years ago we might have gone in a different direction - but it is too risky now to change goal b. objectives of the proposal? ----------------------------- It would be enough to re-quote the first sentence, the proposal objectives are clearly stated. PPARC will market-test in the next few years, but this is not relevant at present. We agree with the comment but not its relevance today - also, companies may not exist at that time. NG's comments could be used here to summarise the response. c. management and programme plan -------------------------------- There were no comments for this section. The key statement is that the Management structure detailed in Section 10 is well-developed and fit-for-purpose. This was agreed. d. novelty, originality, and relevance -------------------------------------- It was noted that the high-level points were not converging with astronomers - and they are not converging with us. It was agreed that if we were given astronomers' requirements then they can be incorporated. This could be put forward as an offer, eg to astro applications. It was noted that AstroGrid has not dealt with large volumes of data. We are open to them if there is anything they wish to do and we are very willing to work with them. It was confirmed that all UK experiments should be able to use the Grid. It was agreed that TD would forward this to Andy Lawrence and Nic Walton regarding AstroGrid - and that a joint 'aspirational' response could be made on the day. e. relationship with other work in UK and abroad ------------------------------------------------ LIGO and GT4 could be emphasised here - a short section would do here as there are no real issues of concern. We are agreeing with this statement and are the lead on some of this work, we are also working at higher-level regarding file transfer services. f. reliable methods and techniques proposed ------------------------------------------- NG noted that we already are semi-professional middleware providers - perhaps this was not well-enough explained. They are talking about middleware development. The first statement regarding 'in-house development' we agree with, but we cannot outsource hardware. HP were already looking at this with their partners LCG - to run at 100% is challenging for any service provider to achieve. TD noted that the statement by the Referee was not referring to hardware but to commercial resource provision - we were a step ahead so do not need to discuss the outsourcing of hardware. PPARC should try and get a level of cost. There was a discussion regarding the Referee's intentions. g. industrial relevance and potential for exploitation ------------------------------------------------------ Was this weak ground? The proposal did not focus on technology transfer but rather linked with EGEE - this area may need improvement but it was not proposed to spend a lot of time on it, it would be preferable to use the space for a half-post request regarding Industrial Liaison - this represented good value at that level. h. viability ------------ We already have something that scales and works - this is a large-scale 'yes' but regarding quality of service, 'no'. We could re-converge regarding standards and the LHC experiments will fill-in the gaps. There was scalability of the GLite stack and large energy costs. It was noted that we had examined the risks and discussed these with PPARC. It was agreed to refer the meeting to the relevant section. This area had been identified and an approach does exist. i. planning ----------- It was noted that the wording 'may have started' is quite weak. The inclusion of 'particle physics' within a future EGI goes without saying. j. service level ---------------- This was a difficult issue - the service was expected to operate at 98%. The current status of Tier-1 achievement was 76% against a target of 88%. It was asked whether the long-term will offer enhanced levels of availability? This depends on definitions, the current measures in place do not allow for 98% availability. It was agreed that if we can provide the same level of availability as anyone else does, then that is acceptable. If new ways of working and new tools were to be developed then we could increase availability to 98%. There appeared to be a focus on replica management tools, looked-on as generic broad services, agreed at some level with SRB. This works at lower level - we have compared both: alternatives like SRB have been considered by CMS and BaBAR - communities do try and pool their efforts. We cannot agree with the statement at the end: 'splitting the community and preventing solutions emerging' - this is not true and we can emphasise this in this section. k. large number of Tier-2 sites ------------------------------- DB commented that reducing the number of tier-2 sites reduces the leverage we get. It is not clear that this saves us any money really. We could also certainly rationalise staff and hardware to few sites but the net cost would be the same and we would probably simply lever less kit and effort. We would be more likely to have to pay explicit running costs if the Tier-2 resources were larger lumps in fewer places. Service level might be better but one of the key points about a grid is to address reliability with redundancy so more sites can help as well as hinder. SL noted that if we had to lump all the Tier-2 kit in 4-5 places we would have to invest in some serious buildings and infrastructure to put it in. In addition the utility costs of these would be completely exposed. There were no comments to be made regarding 'storage management' and 'workload management'. l. information and monitoring ----------------------------- There was further development of RGMA for 'maintenance mode' or 'bug-fixing' - this needs to be re-stated. We have already gone through the process where we are focussing on 'bug-fixing' - the middleware appendix has possibly not been read? A timescale was needed for the move into 'maintenance mode'. It was agreed that we need to re-state the proposal in slides, re-presenting it - it was not a development project. m. past effectiveness of applicants ----------------------------------- 'exceptionally successful ... etc' - it was agreed to use this full quote for a response. There was no comment on 'sustainability of research team'. n. quantify continuity and risk of not meeting it ------------------------------------------------- It was agreed that at the first meeting at least a 7-month extension should be approved. Following this first meeting, risk is high if they do not respond in this manner to the GridPP2 continuation proposal. TD advised that we also need to do a re-costing because of all the University sites regrading of pay. This was appended to the proposal in a generic statement - there is high-level agreement between the Research Councils and the Universities to allow them to carry-out this process. o. suitability of departments ----------------------------- The focus was on Tier-2s - and this is back to SL's point (in k above); there were no questions regarding Tier-1. p. cost effectiveness, value for money -------------------------------------- TD asked if there were any points. All calculations were done by the experiments to ensure that GridPP2 meets its obligations - this was not based on matched funding for EGEE but the project has got close to the end point of contract and there are issues of both staff retention and hardware. The next three years will see grid expansion: full detail is given in the tables, we are not introducing any new information here. The Reviewer asked about the high-level statements at the beginning of the proposal - we are well-integrated into the community now, back-up slides may be required here. q. other notes -------------- It was understood that de-bugging on the grid is difficult; we have not attempted to answer the whole document, we agree with the Reviewer. The growth in staff costs for Tier-2 is because staff are undersupplied at present - Tier-2 is grossly understaffed, furthermore the increase in manpower is modest in comparison to the increase in resources. It was asserted that the answers, generically, to many of the questions raised are to be found in the appendices. It was asked whether we have to respond to all questions? Answers to the majority of them are detailed within the context document, also issues of training are to be found there. r. resources ------------ Again re-visit Tier-2 comments (above). s. overall scientific assessment -------------------------------- The proposal is fundable and should be funded. A quick decision is required. It was agreed that the points for the meeting should be summarised in slides for back-up purposes. TD would prepare these. A three-quarter of an hour presentation was expected, with time for questions. It was understood that we need to provide some background and context. The next PMB, to take place on Monday 11th September at 1.00 pm, would review the meeting on Wednesday 6th. The final slides inc. prepared answers to questions are available at: http://www.gridpp.ac.uk/talks/GridPP3_PPRP6Sep06_final.ppt It was agreed that DN's new title would be: 'Associate User Board Chair' and DN's appointment would last until December of 2006. STANDING ITEMS ============== SI-1 News Items and Meeting Dates ---------------------------------- SP reported that we had received some coverage in Science Grid This Week. This week's main story is one of ours: http://www.interactions.org/sgtw/ And the Google Earth monitor was image of the week last week: http://www.interactions.org/sgtw/2006/0823/ SI-2 Production Manager's Report -------------------------------- JC reported the following items: 1) The T2 involvement in CASTOR testing showed some reasonable rates(best rates were RAL PPD > 400 Mb/s, Edinburgh 200 Mb/s, Birmingham >400 Mb/s). We did not attempt simultaneous transfers due to the need to progress other transfer work. A summary of the results can be found here: http://www.gridpp.ac.uk/wiki/RAL_Tier1_CASTOR_SRM_tests_T1toT2#Results 2) Last week the preparation for the next phase of site transfer tests was completed with each reference (RAL PPD, Edinburgh and Birmingham) site exchanging at rates between 310 and 380 Mb/s. Involvement of the individual sites started over the weekend. Generally sites have been responsive but a few have yet to supply a named individual to run the tests. Results are here: http://www.gridpp.ac.uk/wiki/SC4_24hr_Individual_Read-Write_Tests but the summary transfer figures are wrong due to an incorrect calculation in the script (this is now corrected for transfers since Friday). 3) There is a two day WLCG Grid Deployment Board this week at BNL: http://agenda.cern.ch/fullAgenda.php?ida=a057709. The focus is security (policy and operational) and storage (accounting and implementations). 4) At the last DTEAM meeting there was renewed focus on security and the desire to work more closely with the new NGS/RAL eScience security officer. The lack of a GridPP security officer was noted again as a problem. Following various discussions the job description for the GridPP security officer is being revised with the intention of advertising the position within the next 3 weeks. 5) ATLAS DDM transfers will resume this week starting with T0-T1 transfers of dedicated (permanent) datasets followed by T1-T2 replications. All subscriptions will now be done by experts at CERN with issues on the site side being dealt with by a few ATLAS people in the UK plus the deployment team and site admins. 6) 600 new disks will be arriving at RAL tomorrow for the hardware swap out. They will be installed from next week. This will be followed by approximately 4 weeks of testing. Meanwhile the next hardware procurement for disk has been finalized. SI-3 LCG Management Board Report -------------------------------- See https://twiki.cern.ch/twiki/bin/view/LCG/MbMeetingsMinutes There was nothing to report. SI-4 Documentation Officer's Report ----------------------------------- SB reported that the UIG had a meeting last week and will have another one next week, the aim is still to have a demonstration web site ready for the EGEE conference (which will have a parallel UIG session on the Wednesday afternoon under the heading of NA2/3/4). The initial use cases are being written by Andrea Sciaba, John White and myself. Action 220.3 is still ongoing and SB would try to have something for next week. ACTIONS AS AT 04.09.06 ====================== 220.3 SB to report on the Workload Management System Documentation. 225.1 TD to email the Tier-1 Board regarding DN's extension; also to talk with DK regarding Sept meeting agenda. 225.3 DN to provide summary spreadsheet of T1-T2 networking based on GridPP3 figures; the Tier-1 and Tier-2 future resources planning remains an issue until the Tier-1/A Board meeting on 22 September. 226.1 TD to raise the problems of LHC experiments' disk space at the Tier-1 Board. 227.1 TD to contact Andy Lawrence and Nic Walton regarding AstroGrid.