NEW-MEDIA-CURATING  2006

NEW-MEDIA-CURATING 2006

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: question regarding representation and internationalism

Kelli Dipple <[log in to unmask]>

Kelli Dipple <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 10 Jan 2006 13:12:02 -0000

text/plain

Hello - I rarely get time to input into these discussions, though I am a
frequent reader. First let me say how very much I appreciate the
dialogue and debate available through this channel.

I wanted to pick up on this topic, as I did quite a bit of research into
some parallel issues last year.

Recently I ran a 4 week online panel discussion titled 'Common Ground:
Collective Practice and Shared Knowledge'. In this debate, I was very
keen to include international and specifically indigenous perspectives.
A number of the contributors added very interesting comments along the
lines of your enquiry.

The formal panel discussion:
http://www.tate.org.uk/contact/forums/onlineevents/thread.jsp?forum=47&t
hread=3051&tstart=0&trange=45

The associated public forum (which saw quite a bit of activity) the
forum has now closed:
http://www.tate.org.uk/contact/forums/onlineevents/thread.jsp?forum=48&t
hread=3052&tstart=0&trange=46

Contributors and perspectives:

Jane Anderson, is a legal anthropologist who works extensively with
aboriginal communities in Australia (I recommend taking a look at her
work if you have an interest). Jane made some extremely interesting
comments and case study references on the relationship Australian
indigenous people have to the ownership and circulation of knowledge.
Proposing some very challenging notions into the intellectual property
and open source debate, which asks us to readdress location and the
local, in context of this globally relevant debate.

Cheryl L'Hirondelle is a Canadian Indigenous artist who also had
valuable input into the discussion.

The moderator Danny Butt is a New Zealander and has also done a lot of
work in this area.

The forum also addressed the European perspective - represented by
Florian Cramer. Who's ideas were followed through in the associated
public forum, in quite a bit of detail as well. Further contributions
included the Raqs Media Collective from India and Yuwei Lin (Taiwanese
Sociologist, based in Amsterdam) who has a unique cyber-feminist
perspective on intellectual property and associated issues.

Here are the contributors' biogs, with relevant web references should
you wish to follow up on any of their work:
http://www.tate.org.uk/onlineevents/archive/common_ground/biogs.htm#lin

Here is the forum topic summarized:
Reviewing intellectual property in light of a variety of cultural
relationships to notions of property, collaboration, and circulation.
Reflecting on case studies which elucidate both traditional indigenous
and contemporary media practices, that are innately shared, distributed,
time-based, seasonal or nomadic concepts. Considering the value of aural
histories, performative and media practices; which embody themselves in
both private and collective knowledge/s.

I do hope these references are useful to your research.

This online discussion is part of an ongoing series. Next one due to
launch in March on the topic of --
'Liquid Architectures: The future of the artefact and the institutions
which steward there exhibition, collection and preservation'

Kind Regards

Kelli Dipple
Webcasting Curator
Digital Programmes / Education & Interpretation
Tate
www.tate.org.uk/onlineevents