Help for SIMSOC Archives

SIMSOC Archives

SIMSOC@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

SIMSOC Home

SIMSOC  2006

SIMSOC 2006

CfP: 4TH LAKE ARROWHEAD HUMAN COMPLEX SYSTEMS CONFERENCE

Nigel Gilbert <[log in to unmask]>

Nigel Gilbert <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 17 Oct 2006 21:31:26 +0100

[Posted on behalf of Dario Nardi]

Please Join Us!

The 4th UCLA Lake Arrowhead Conference on Human Complex Systems
April 25th - April 29th, 2007
Lake Arrowhead, CA, USA

We look forward to another cross-disciplinary gathering of social scientists
who employ cutting-edge agent-based computational modeling and related
computational ideas and methods in their research and teaching. As in past
years, you will find dozens of presentations from various disciplines. We
are
also hosting evening panels, another "live" simulation, and opportunities
for
networking and relaxation amid gorgeous surroundings.

This years conference is once again at the UCLA Lake Arrowhead Conference
Center in Southern California, just a few hours outside Los Angeles. All
lodging, meals, conference fees, and transportation to/from Los Angeles are
included in one easy package.

For full details, printable PDFs, and registration information, please visit
http://www.hcs.ucla.edu/arrowhead.htm

The conference syllabus is also printed below.

Many have given rave reviews of this conference in the past. We hope to
see you there!

Sincerely,
the UCLA Human Complex Systems faculty (Phil Bonacich, Nicholas Gessler,
Susanne Lohmann, Bill McKelvey, Dario Nardi, Dwight Read, Francis Steen)

CONFERENCE SYLLABUS
4th Lake Arrowhead Conference on Human Complex Systems

JOIN US!
We are back with our 4th Lake Arrowhead Conference on Human Complex
Systems. It will be held from Wednesday April 25, 2007 through Sunday April
29, 2007. We look forward to another
cross-disciplinary gathering of social scientists who employ cutting-edge
agent-based computational modeling and
related computational ideas and methods in their research and teaching. As
in past years, dozens of
presenters from numerous disciplines are presenting. We are also hosting
evening panels, a live simulation, and
opportunities for networking and relaxation amid gorgeous surroundings.

This years conference is once again at the UCLA Lake Arrowhead Conference
Center. For more information and photos please visit
http://www.uclaconferencecenter.com. The Center is
located at Lake Arrowhead, a Southern California facility situated at 5000
feet elevation in the beautiful San
Bernardino Mountains. It is a two to three hour drive from Los Angeles
International Airport. As usual, costs
include ALL LODGING & MEALS, plus transportation to/from Los Angeles.

ADVANCING AGENT MODELING
IN THE SOCIAL SCIENCES
The conference is a forum for sharing the most recent advances -- in
theory, methodology and application - in the area of agent modeling
throughout the social sciences (e.g.,
Anthropology, Communication Studies, Economics, Geography, History,
Political Science, Sociology, Urban Planning). We also
welcome social scientists in professional schools (e.g., Business,
Education, International Relations,
Public Health, Public Policy, Social Welfare) and in the public and private
sectors.
Researchers and theorists in Psychology, Media Studies and social aspects
of Cognitive Science, Artificial Intelligence, Robotics and related
disciplines also welcome!

There will be a mix of plenary sessions plus one day of concurrent
sessions on computational modeling issues, discipline-based research, and
special topics to be proposed. We invite
individual paper submissions and session proposals. We will facilitate
another live simulation in the spirit of the
very successful group experiences at prior conferences!

PAPER, SYMPOSIUM & PANEL TOPICS
We invite papers and sessions on the following topics
--Agent Modeling Methodologies
--Modeling Approaches--Evolutionary Computation, Cellular Automata,
Genetic Algorithms, Neural Networks,

Simulated Annealing
--Model Design Issues--Population Complexity, Agent Complexity, Spatial
Complexity
--Robustness and Validity Issues
--Model-to-model Comparisons and Standardization
--Intersections with Mathematics, Human Experiments, Social Epistemology
--Artificial Societies and Artificial Cultures
--Physical and Virtual Robot Societies and Cultures
--Simulating Social Intelligence
--Complexity/Chaos Theory
--Emergent Social Structure
--Social Network Dynamics
--Spatial Analysis
--Game Theory
--Knowledge, Distributed Intelligence and Distributed Cognition
--Governance, Centralization, Decentralization
--Multi-participant Simulated Worlds
--Agent-Related Systems Dynamics
--Economy, Culture and other phenomena of Online Communities including
Online Learning Environments
--Agent diversity/heterogeneity (variation among individual agents)
--Modeling agents mental models
--Adjudication and conflict resolution in decision making among agents
--Public and Private Sector Applications
--Discipline and Multi- and Inter- Discipline Applications
--Topics of Your Choice

CUTTING-EDGE CHALLENGES
We encourage papers at the cutting-edge of agent-based modeling that are
relevant to the social science community broadly defined. This conference is
model oriented. We look
forward to hearing about the models you use!

Physics is the science of the simple. Its models are mathematical and can
often even be solved analytically, but in exchange [they are] largely linear
and only capable of grasping
highly homogeneous systems. AMBs grasp a higher level of complexity as they
can represent adaptive, nonlinear and
inhomogeneous systems. A still higher level of complexity is reached when
the contextuality and radical openness
of systems is irreducible. Such systems are beyound the reach of ABMs. We
currently do not have any
effective modeling paradigm for this highest level of complexity. (p. 27).
   --from Chu, Strand, and Fjellands 2003 paper in Complexity.

Consider the Challenge: Is their conclusion correct? Does anyone have a
model that proves them wrong? We especially welcome such models!

FORMAT
For a paper presentation, authors present for 20 minutes and receive an
additional 10 minutes for Q&A. We also welcome 90-120 minute symposium
proposals consisting of 3-4 individual
papers on a related topic of inquiry. Finally, we are open to someone
wishing to organize an evening panel
discussion on a hot topic in agent modeling.

PUBLICATION
Presenters may submit their papers for permanent web publication within
the University of California E-Scholarship Repository. Stay tuned for more
details.

IMPORTANT DATES
Please keep in mind the following dates and times.
-- December 15, 2006: Application deadline. Abstracts submitted after this
deadline will be put on a waiting list.
-- December 26, 2006: Notification of abstract acceptance.
-- January 15, 2007. Cancellations made after this are refunded minus $180
for processing.
-- March 26, 2007: Cancellations after this point receive no refund.
-- April 25, 2007 (evening): Conference kick off.
-- April 28, 2007 (evening): Conference closing.
-- April 29, 2007: Breakfast and van return to Los Angeles.

We hope to see you for dinner at 6:00 PM Wednesday evening, April 25. The
conference runs through Saturday evening. Sunday breakfast (8:00-9:00 AM) is
provided. Allow for a 3 hour
drive to / from Los Angeles. Van service will be provided for attendees who
need a ride. We look forward to
seeing you!

Sincerely,
the UCLa Human Complex Systems faculty (Phil Bonacich, Nicholas Gessler,
Susanne Lohmann, Bill McKelvey, Dario Nardi, Dwight Read, Francis Steen)

CONTACT INFORMATION
Dario Nardi
Conference Coordinator
Human Complex Systems
Dept. of Anthropology, UCLA
341 Haines Hall
Los Angeles, CA 90095
www.hcs.ucla.edu
Professor Nigel Gilbert, ScD, FREng, AcSS, Professor of Sociology,
University of Surrey, Guildford GU2 7XH, UK. +44 (0)1483 689173