NEW-MEDIA-CURATING  2006

NEW-MEDIA-CURATING 2006

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: Some personal thoughts on NODE.London.

Patrick Simons <[log in to unmask]>

Patrick Simons <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 14 Feb 2006 17:01:47 +0000

text/plain

The posted replies seem to be suggesting that Node.L is not a curated event
or season of events, and that being the case, would for me go part way to
help me to understand why it has not been a focus of interest for lists like
this.
It s interesting that the evolution of NMC has developed firmly within an
academic framework, within an ideological optic through which the
relationship between artwork/artist and art history  trains its attention on
curatorial narrative and cultural production. As a list lurker (I wont
pretend to be apologetic, we all do it) I have always subconsciously
percieved NMC as a list about "curating" new media rather than "new" media
(arts) curating.. a list as an extension of a research dept/cluster.. rather
than a list growing out of a mission to look at new ways of curating new
media.
Being based outside london, in fact outside just about everywhere, its
difficult to know how to get a grip on the details of nodal news. It is
somewhat ironic that a distributed network based art form is defining itself
along the physical definitions of funding criteria, ACE etc, but I would
have expected the experimental nature of the Node process would have stirred
enough of the thin and well trampled undergrowth that is curatoral practise
to help those living at the end of the world like me to engage and respond
to londons media arts big gig.
With people like Furtherfield and all the other even smaller arts groups who
are trusting their own ability and independent takes on this scene, to
galvanise some sort of collective response to the pitiful state of public
arts funding for this the unincorporated/uninstitutionalised, their just
will be important stuff produced out of this.

It cant be the case that nodal is under the radar of NMC because it is
invisible or insignificant anymore than it is for the Tate...etc etc so why
is NMC going to be looking at Audio-visual (something im personally very
interested/involved with) and not art historically looking nodal?

best wishes

Patrick