Help for LIS-LINK Archives

LIS-LINK Archives

LIS-LINK@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

LIS-LINK Home

LIS-LINK  2006

LIS-LINK 2006

CILIP, mailing lists, ID Cards and advocacy

Chris Armstrong <[log in to unmask]>

Chris Armstrong <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 28 Apr 2006 10:37:00 +0100

Colleagues
I normally use my blog (info NeoGnostic) to comment on events which
concern the profession, CILIP, etc. The last two posts are quite
important, and I suppose some of you may wish to read them.

1. There is some risk that CILIP may close the LIS-CILIP mailing list,
thus removing an important focus for discussion of professional issues.
The list is open to both members and non-members of CILIP, which is one
reason why it is so important. I (and others) are lobbying against the
closure and it will be debated at next Council. If you value debates on
LIS-CILIP, lobby your local Councillor. See:
http://i-a-l.blogspot.com/2006/04/two-against-free-speech.html

2. Out-Law.com have just flagged up the first move by government to
extend the functionality of the National Identity Register. This despite
assurances given in the House of Lords very recently. The issues concern
the amount of information held about individuals, the uses to which it
is put, the way it is shared between government departments, and the
individual's (your) right and ability to confirm data held about you is
correct. I believe CILIP - as expert in information - should be lobbying
government about this. See:
http://i-a-l.blogspot.com/2006/04/identity-cards-early-function-creep.html

Chris

Chris Armstrong (CILIP National Councillor)
Information Automation Limited
t. (+44) 1974 251302
e. [log in to unmask]
w. www.i-a-l.co.uk