New information from NIACE

Elisabeth Prince <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 30 Jan 2006 09:44:17 -0000

Apologies for cross-posting

Dear colleague,

I wanted to take this opportunity to let you know that the NIACE Publications Catalogue 2006 is now available, and it contains details of all our new and forthcoming books, as well as our range of journals, including Adults Learning, and our three academic journals. You can also find information on our new prices and our special offers and discounts. If you would like to receive a copy of the catalogue (which is free of charge), then please do not hesitate to contact me and I will arrange for one to be sent.

Please note that NIACE members will also receive a 20% discount off all prices, and subscription rates.

I would also like to take this opportunity to highlight some new titles, published over the last few weeks, which I think would be of interest. Again, please let me know if you would like further information about them.

Adult learning at a glance 2006
Veronica McGivney
ISBN 1 86201 269 5, 2005, 144pp, 24.95, US$47.00, EUR39.50
This book provides contextual data to enable links and connections to be made between post-16 education and training and other dimensions of UK life. Demographic change, economic and labour market trends, cultural factors and policy measures all affect the provision offered and its take-up in post-compulsory education. The digest gives information on the UK population, the labour market and participation and attainment in different post-16 education and training sectors. There is an additional section on quality issues in provision for adult learners.

This is one stop source of data is a valuable publication for anyone who is interested in how post-16 education and training connects with other areas of life in the UK, which include colleagues involved in policy and research, Schools of Education, and Social Science departments, as well as people working in Government, work-place learning, FE and HE. To find out more please visit our website
www.niace.org.uk/publications

Widening participation: Which way forward for English higher education?
Edited by Chris Duke and Geoff Layer
Co-published with Action on Access
ISBN 1 86201 271 7, 2005, 168pp, 18.95, US$36.00, EUR30.50
The broad range of contributors - from higher education institutions and from schools, further education, funding and planning agencies - argue for more diverse learner-centred provision rather than further stratification of the sector. Managers from universities and colleges express strong reservations about the rhetoric of 'fair access', recognising the need to evaluate higher education providers
on the basis of fitness for purpose. Other authors analyse models and markets for HE, social structures, young people's life chances and initiatives aimed at learners from disadvantaged communities. The book examines policies and practices - recruitment, retention, learner need and staff development - and reflects on issues of participation, success and institutional change.

It argues persuasively that to increase and broaden participation requires more and better guidance for potential students, appropriate curricula and easier vocational routes into degrees and diplomas. http://www.niace.org.uk/publications/W/WidePartHE.htm
SION
Eight in ten: adult learners in further education
The report of the independent Committee of Enquiry invited by NIACE to review the state of adult learning in colleges of further education in England
ISBN 1 86201 278 4, 2005, 64pp, 9.95, US$20.00, EUR17.00
This is the official report of the Committee of Enquiry into the current state of Further Education in England. Led by NIACE, the Committee examined the effects of current funding strategies and the level of commitment to adult learning in Further Education. Its title reflects the fact that eight in ten students in English Further Education colleges are adults.

The Report draws attention to the effects of Government policy on provision for adults that is not regarded as priority, but which includes important "first steps" provision, such as some work with disadvantaged adults and those with learning difficulties. It argues the case for new thinking and a new vocabulary to formulate policy and provision for adult learners.
More information can be found at  http://www.niace.org.uk/publications/E/eightinten.htm
NEWhttp://www.niace.org.uk/publications/E/eightinten.htm
We have also published four new titles all focusing on different issues which impact on adult learning in all its forms. The first book Getting there and back again: Guidelines for learning providers on travelling to learning for adults with disabilities or learning difficulties, explores the different solutions that have been employed to enable adults with disabilities to gain access to learning, and includes chapters on experiences and cost of travel, limited funding and disruption caused by poor travel arrangements. The second book, Special relationships: how families learn together, sets to find out if there is anything unique about the learning that happens in intergenerational group settings. Exploring the nature of family learning, and the how and why, rather then the what is being learned, it is aimed at strategic managers, advisers and coordinators of family learning programmes. We have also just published Building local initiatives for learning, skills and employment :Test-bed learning communities reviewed, focuses on the important new UK Government's learning communities initiative, which is to improve the local delivery of mainstream services and to reduce the gap between disadvantaged areas and the national average. This report  identifies some key factors in making learning communities sustainable, and shows that the experience of such local programmes can help to shape public services and promote public participation. Finally we have published Skills audits for asylum seekers and refugees - a practitioners' manual, which gives experienced practitioners, volunteers and people starting work with asylum seekers and refugees an effective and innovative method of analysing an individual asylum seeker's current skills and experience.

Further details about these publications can be found at www.niace.org.uk/publications

Convergence 38.3

Finally the new issue of the major worldwide journal Convergence is now available. Published quarterly the journal addresses issues, practices and developments in the broad field of adult and non-formal education, and provides a forum for international exchange on current developments in adult education.

This issue is a special one focusing around the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs), particularly on issues surrounding education and the MDGs. These issues include the relevance of MDGs to the education sector and lifelong learning, how MDGs are shaping Governments' priorities around the world, as well as determining funding trends and how the goals are also having a clear impact on non-governmental organisations' advocacy work.

Subscription rates for Europe, North America, Australasia, Japan and Singapore are:

 42 for one year, 70 for two years and 98 for three years

All publications are available from NIACE Publications Sales, 21 De Montfort Street, Leicester, LE1 7GE
Tel 0116 204 4216
Fax 0116 204 4276
Or from our website www.niace.org.uk/publications
*Please note that orders cannot be invoiced for under 35.00*

Many thanks
Elisabeth

Elisabeth Prince
Publications Marketing Assistant