LASER-SCAN, CAMBRIDGE - Job Vacancy
Software Engineer - NERVE Project
The NERVE project:
Laser-Scan wish to employ a software engineer to join the NERVE project.
NERVE (North East Region Visualisation Engine) is a collaborative research
project sponsored by the Department of Trade and Industry under the
Technology Programme. The project has a 2 year duration.
The project is concerned with researching a real-time interactive digital
model of a given geographic region. The model is to be shared by
stakeholders in the region, thereby providing a valuable resource for
integrating location-based information and for delivering digital content
and services to the stakeholders. The objective of this project is to
carry out basic research to address the key technical problems that need to
be overcome to realise this vision.
The successful candidate for this post will have the following
1. Conduct literature and standards research.
2. To research, design, implement, document, test software products to meet
the requirements of the project as directed by the project architect.
3. To communicate regularly with the project architect.
4. To help evolve the approved specifications as the project progresses.
5. To help ensure that the overall design for the project is coherent.
Required Qualifications, Skills, Experience and Qualities:
1. You are expected to hold a degree in a numerate, scientific or
engineering discipline, preferably with a postgraduate qualification
demonstrating research capability.
2. You will have demonstrated experience and understanding of some or all
of the following technologies:
Web Service Chaining / Orchestration
Semantic Web Technologies
Rules based processing
Geographical Information Systems
3. You will be self-motivated and to be able to work unsupervised.
4. You will have excellent team working skills and be able to operate
effectively in a dispersed group.
4. You will have taken part in technical research either in a group or as
5. You will have excellent and demonstrated verbal and written
communication skills. Presentation skills would be advantageous.
With 70 staff involved in software development, sales and system support,
Laser-Scan offers a friendly working environment where teamwork plays a
vital role. Laser-Scan has a devolved management structure, open plan
office and flexible working hours. The company has a positive approach to
social activities outside of the workplace and is a keen supporter of
charity events, such as Red Nose Day and the Breast Cancer Campaign.
Cambridge is an attractive city, an hour out of London by train.
All applicants must have an EU passport or a current work permit.
Please send your CV by email to: [log in to unmask]
No agency applications will be considered for this position.
Closing date: 28th February 2006
Leading the world in spatial data quality management
To unsubscribe or modify your gis-jobs settings, please visit: