Help for ETHNOPOLITICS Archives

ETHNOPOLITICS Archives

ETHNOPOLITICS@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

ETHNOPOLITICS Home

ETHNOPOLITICS  2006

ETHNOPOLITICS 2006

Call for Submissions: Database on Younger Scholarsof Post-conflict Reconstruction

Stefan Wolff <[log in to unmask]>

Stefan Wolff <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 4 Apr 2006 18:00:41 +0100

Dear colleagues

With funding from the Carnegie Corporation of New York, we are creating a
database of younger scholars who are doing research on some aspect of
post-war state-building. The database is part of a larger project aimed at
developing mechanisms for the regular communication of academic research and
analysis to policy makers and practitioners in the field of peace operations
and post-conflict reconstruction. The research interest of younger scholars
(PhD candidates, recent PhDs, and assistant professors) in countries
emerging from war and in peace-building has been growing considerably in
recent years. As a result, we now have substantial empirical research, much
based on field research, and empirical theory that could improve these
international interventions if this knowledge could be made available to
those who design and implement these programs. A database of their research
is an early step in that process. At the same time, we believe that these
scholars would benefit from the creation of a network of regular
communication, among them and with policy makers. We are in the process of
developing those mechanisms.

I am writing to ask your assistance in helping us to identify such scholars.
Our list is already impressive, we think, but it is important that it be as
inclusive as possible. Could you please provide us information about any of
your current or recent students who are doing such research and
conceptualization? Please have this material sent to Mr. Jason Harle at
[log in to unmask] or [log in to unmask] He will be happy to answer any
question about the project you may have as well.

I also want to reassure you that no information that is not already in the
public domain would be included, unless the person volunteers such
additional information; the process of regularizing a network will also give
each scholar the opportunity to add or remove any information they choose.
The database itself will also be public, available on a website we are
creating for that purpose.

Thank you very much for any assistance you can provide.

Sincerely,

Susan L. Woodward
Professor
Ph.D Program in Political Science