[CSL]: [CTHEORY] 1000 Days of Theory: Hypervirus: A Clinical Repo rt

J Armitage <[log in to unmask]>

Interdisciplinary academic study of Cyber Society <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 3 Feb 2006 08:57:17 -0000

text/plain

-----Original Message-----
From: [log in to unmask] [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
On Behalf Of [log in to unmask]
Sent: 02 February 2006 23:03
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [CTHEORY] 1000 Days of Theory: Hypervirus: A Clinical Report

 CTHEORY:        THEORY, TECHNOLOGY AND CULTURE        VOL 29, NOS 1-2
        *** Visit CTHEORY Online: http://www.ctheory.net ***

 1000 Days 031    02/02/2006    Editors: Arthur and Marilouise Kroker

                         *************************

                            1000 DAYS OF THEORY

                         *************************

 Hypervirus: A Clinical Report

 ~Thierry Bardini~

      And everybody knows that the Plague is coming
      Everybody knows that it's moving fast
      Everybody knows that the naked man and woman
      Are just a shining artifact of the past.[1]

              -- Leonard Cohen, "Everybody Knows."

      The high degree to which AIDS, terrorism, crack cocaine or
      computer viruses mobilize the popular imagination should tell us
      that they are more than anecdotal occurrences in an irrational
      world. The fact is that they contain within them the logic of
      our system: these events are merely the spectacular expression
      of that system. They all hew to the same agenda of virulence and
      radiation, an agenda whose very power over the imagination is of
      a viral character.[2]

              -- Jean Baudrillard, "Prophylaxy and Virulence."

 At the dawn of capitalism's fourth phase, the hypervirus awoke.
 Poisonous parasite, undead, ubiquitous and omnipotent.

 At the beginning of the 1980s, the logistic curve of the hypervirus
 (the "virus" virus) passed its first critical point (i.e. second
 order inflexion). Materializing the cybernetic convergence of carbon
 and silicon, it infected computers and humans alike at unprecedented
 levels. From this point on, an explosive diffusion in "postmodern
 culture" emerged, eventually it plateaued near saturation, redefining
 culture as a viral ecology. Room for one more inside, Sir.

 TRUE/FALSE but REMARKABLE IDENTITIES:
 "Virus" is a virus: virus is a reflexive name.
 The virus is the quintessential Kantian thing-in-itself.
 The hypervirus is the quintessential Dawkinsian meme.
 (Your clone is the idealized expression of your viral self).

 The postmodern master equation:
 LANGUAGE = VIRUS = INFORMATIONAL PARASITE
 Baudrillard adds the corollary proposition:
 Anathematic Illimited / Transfatal Express
 Viral Incorporated / International Epidemics

 The hypervirus rules our times like an indifferent despot (it
 practices liberal indifference). It is the ultimate boot sector
 parasite of our undead culture. Theorized, from Derrida to Foucault
 (who died of it), Baudrillard (passim [3]) and Deleuze, the virus is
 the master trope of "postmodern culture" (whatever that is).[4] Let
 us sketch rapidly the progression of the pandemics.[5]

 In his Cut-Ups trilogy of the first half of the 1960s (_The Soft
 Machine_, _The Ticket that Exploded_ and _Nova Express_), William
 Burroughs experimented with the stuff of words; in the early 1970s,
 Susumu Ohno coined the expression "junk DNA" Burroughs eventually
 synthesized the experiment into one fundamental thesis: language (and
 especially written language) is a virus.[6] At approximately the same
 time, the "computer virus" appeared in science-fiction literature.
 William S. Burroughs is ~patient 0~ of the hypervirus, the original
 vector. It is an ironic corollary of his own thesis that the
 hypervirus was first detected in his writings. In _The Electronic
 Revolution_, he writes:

      I have frequently spoken of word and image as viruses or as
      acting as viruses, and this is not an allegorical comparison. It
      will be seen that the falsifications of syllabic western
      languages are in point of fact actual virus mechanisms. The IS
      of identity the purpose of a virus is to SURVIVE. To survive at
      any expense to the host invaded. To be an animal, to be a body.
      To be an animal body that the virus can invade. To be animals,
      to be bodies. To be more animal bodies, so that the virus can
      move from one body to another. To stay present as an animal
      body, to stay absent as antibody or resistance to the body
      invasion.[7]

 Relevant here is an extended version of Deleuze's notion of the
 overman. The virus, more efficient than the overman, is not only "in
 charge of the animals" (As in Deleuze and Guattari's version), but
 actually is the animal. This use of the verb "to be" is, of course,
 highly problematic for Burroughs, to the point that it is quite
 accurate to consider him the detective-doctor of the antiviral fight.
 [8] For Burroughs, the principals of this fight begin with a reform
 of language itself, in the "therapeutic" tradition of Count Alfred
 Korzybski's non-Aristotelian semantics, whose seminar he attended in
 the late 1930s:

      The categorical THE is also a virus mechanism, locking you in
      THE virus universe. EITHER/OR is another virus formula. It is
      always you OR the virus. EITHER/OR. This is in point of fact the
      conflict formula, which is seen to be archetypical virus
      mechanism. The proposed language will delete these virus
      mechanisms and make them impossible of formulation in the
      language. This language will be a tonal language like Chinese,
      it will also have a hieroglyphic script as pictorial as possible
      without being to (sic) cumbersome or difficult to write. This
      language will give one option of silence. When not talking, the
      user of this language can take in the silent images of the
      written, pictorial and symbol languages. [9]

 For Burroughs, the first enemy in language is the "IS of identity":
 "The word BE in the English language contains, as a virus contains,
 its precoded message of damage, the categorial imperative of
 permanent condition" (ibid.). Instead, Burroughs follows the advice
 of Korzybski, which is to reform language as a pictorial (iconic)
 language where silence is an option. Silence is understood here as
 the first step in the dissolution of the modern subject (i.e. the
 egoistic subject [10], from Descartes on). Thus, where Simon and
 Garfunkel innocently sing, "fool said I you do not know, silence like
 a cancer grows" -- today South Park echoes, "Die Hippie Die!"

 During the same general period, a philosophical project develops that
 mirrors the work of Burroughs. Between _Of Grammatology_ (1967) and
 _Dissemination_ (1972), Jacques Derrida begins a philosophical
 enterprise that attempts to introduce the Other into the I: a
 redefinition of the subject. Eventually, this "introduction" becomes
 "infection", and the Other is radically recast as the virus. Like
 Burroughs, Derrida first finds traces of the process in writing
 itself:

      The absolute alterity of writing might nevertheless affect
      living speech, from the outside, within its inside: alter it
      [for the worse]. Even as it has an independent history (...) and
      in spite of the inequalities of development, the play of
      structural correlations, writing marks the history of speech.
      Although it is born out of "needs of a different kind" and
      "according to circumstances entirely independent of the duration
      of that people," although these needs might "never have
      occurred," the irruption of this absolute contingency determined
      the interior of an essential history and affected the interior
      unity of a life, literally infected it. It is the strange
      essence of the supplement not to have essentiality: it may
      always not have taken place. Moreover, literally, it has never
      taken place: it is never present, here and now. If it were, it
      would not be what it is, a supplement, taking and keeping the
      place of the other. What alters for the worse the living nerve
      of language . . . has therefore above all not taken place. Less
      than nothing and yet, to judge by its effects, much more than
      nothing. The supplement is neither a presence nor an absence. No
      ontology can think its operation.[11]

 Derrida's claim that "no ontology" can think this operation is
 questionable as it disregards the possibility of viral ontology. [12]
 The question remains whether we could create, following Korzybski and
 his students, a non-Aristotelian ontology -- an ontology of the
 immaterial supplement. Of course, Derrida later recognizes the
 dominance of the virus:

      All I have done ... is dominated by the thought of a virus, what
      could be called a parasitology, a virology, the virus being many
      things.... The virus is in part a parasite that destroys, that
      introduces disorder into communication. Even from the biological
      standpoint, this is what happens with a virus; it derails a
      mechanism of the communicational type, its coding and decoding.
      On the other hand, it is something that is neither living nor
      non-living; the virus is not a microbe. And if you follow these
      two threads, that of a parasite which disrupts destination from
      the communicative point of view -- disrupting writing,
      inscription, and the coding and decoding of inscription -- and
      which on the other hand is neither alive nor dead, you have the
      matrix of all that I have done since I began writing. [13]

 In 1976, Richard Dawkins (over)extends his (selfish) gene concept,
 into a number of notions: (re)birth of the meme, the other
 replicator, ~toujours le meme~. Dawkins renews a nineteenth century
 image contemporary to the Darwinian synthesis, the contagion of
 ideas, by reinvigorating its vocabulary: "when you plant a fertile
 meme in my mind you literally paralyze my brain, turning it into a
 vehicle for the meme's propagation in just the way that a virus may
 parasitize the genetic mechanism of a host cell." [14] Indeed, the
 virus appears as the excluded third term that makes the analogy
 between gene and meme possible:

      There are many ways of defining the meme but there are two that
      we should perhaps take particularly seriously. First, Dawkins,
      who coined the term meme, described memes as units of cultural
      transmission which "propagate themselves in the meme pool by ...
      a process which, in the broad sense, can be called imitation"
      (Dawkins, 1976 p 192). Second, the Oxford English Dictionary
      defines a meme as follows: "meme (mi:m), n. Biol. (shortened
      from mimeme ... that which is imitated, after GENE n.). An
      element of a culture that may be considered to be passed on by
      non-genetic means, esp. imitation". Both these definitions
      include the critical point that memes are cultural information
      that is copied, and that it is copied by imitation (...) There
      is a long history of research on imitation in both animal
      behaviour and human social psychology (...) In the nineteenth
      century Darwin collected many examples of what he took to be
      imitation in animals, as did Romanes (1882, 1883) but they did
      not define what they meant by imitation. Baldwin (1902) gave
      imitation a central role in his theories of evolution, pointing
      out that all adaptive processes can be seen as imitative -
      perhaps foreshadowing the universal Darwinism that today enables
      comparisons between biological evolution and memetic evolution
      (e.g. Dawkins, 1976; Plotkin, 1993). [15]

 Dawkins later makes the point even clearer, by referring to certain
 memes (religious ones) as mind viruses (1993), and so opening the
 door to countless (ab)uses of the metaphor. That same year, a final
 critical point (second second order inflexion point) is passed,
 diffusion is now bound to saturation: the hypervirus is now, in
 Nirvana's words, In Utero. To quote from Nirvana's (very Bataillan)
 song "Milk it": "I am my own parasite / I don't need a host to live /
 (...) / I own my own pet virus / I get to pet and name her / Her milk
 is my shit / My shit is her milk." But I am getting ahead of myself
 here; It might be paradoxically better to return to the false heavens
 of chronology in order to describe the epidemics of the timeless
 entity.

 In 1981 -- Elk Cloner, the first computer virus in the wild (i.e.
 affecting PCs), is documented, although early hackers will tell you
 that there were programs analog to what we now call "viruses" in the
 late 1960s or early 1970s. [16] Elk Cloner predated the experimental
 work that "officially" defined computer viruses and spread on Apple
 II. [17] When infected, the monitor of the computer displayed the
 following rhyme: It will get on all your disks / It will infiltrate
 your chips / Yes it's Cloner! / It will stick to you like glue / It
 will modify ram too / Send in the Cloner!

 In 1982 -- the first global epidemics of the fourth phase officially
 begins: the name AIDS, for Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome is
 coined in August of that year. AIDS would soon become the syndrome of
 choice to synthesize and metaphorize the "postmodern condition." It
 eventually appears as the final term in a series of diseases playing
 this part in our culture: plague-tuberculosis-cancer-AIDS. Room for
 one more inside, Sir.

 This sequence corresponds term for term to the sequence of the four
 phases of capitalism: plague is the archaic and thus the archetypical
 disease (Girard); tuberculosis is the plague that corresponds to the
 second phase of capitalism (mechanized capitalism), and cancer the
 disease of the societies of control:

      Early capitalism assumes the necessity of regulated spending,
      saving, accounting, discipline -- an economy that depends on the
      rational limitation of desire. TB is described in images that
      sum the negative behavior of nineteenth century ~homo
      economicus~: consumption; wasting; squandering of vitality.
      Advanced capitalism requires expansion, speculation, the
      creation of new needs (the problem of satisfaction and
      dissatisfaction); buying on credit; mobility -- an economy that
      depends on the irrational indulgence of desire. Cancer is
      described in images that sum up the negative behavior of
      twentieth century ~homo economicus~: abnormal growth; repression
      of energy, that is refusal to consume or spend. [18]

 In this quote, Susan Sontag relates both diseases to an economy of
 desire. There is a profound resonance here with Rene Girard's notion
 of mimetic desire, [19] a resonance that also evokes Richard
 Dawkins's recycling of the nineteenth century socio-biologies of
 imitation. [20] Both, again, were products of the same period, the
 second oil crisis of international capitalism in the mid 1970s.

 In the viral ontology of the postmodern condition (capitalism of the
 fourth kind), the undifferentiating crime is ascribed to the radical
 Other that is the virus. Metaphorically speaking, the Other then
 becomes a virus. Derrida is quoted by a web author as saying that all
 he has done ... is dominated by the thought of a virus; the same
 author concludes that Derrida is a virus. The unbearable feedback of
 the becoming virus... "Berlusconi is a retrovirus," writes Lorenzo
 Miglioli, and he adds, in the most synthetic expression of the viral
 horrors of history: "The Holy Inquisition (knowledge as a form of
 extortion), Nazism (knowledge as a form of indirect extortion, as an
 experiment), Pol-Pot (knowledge as a form of erasing/extermination of
 the actors for the sake of the scene) are pure and simple
 transcriptions, horror vacui translated into horror written on the
 flesh." [21] G. W. Bush is a virus, Saddam Hussein is a virus, and
 bin Laden is a virus. Room for one more inside, Sir.

 In 1983 -- On November 3, the first "official" computer virus is
 conceived of as an experiment to be presented at a weekly seminar on
 computer security. Fred Cohen first introduced the concept in this
 seminar, and his PhD supervisor, Len Adleman, proposes the name
 "virus". In his presentation, Cohen defines a computer virus as "a
 computer program that can affect other computer programs by modifying
 them in such a way as to include a (possibly evolved) copy of
 itself," a definition he would stick to in his subsequent paper, [22]
 and one that would become the official definition of a "computer
 virus". Cohen produces such an "infection" within a Unix
 directory-listing utility, proving that identifying and isolating
 computer viruses is a non-computable problem. This later result,
 maybe the most crucial point in Cohen's work, meant that fighting the
 infection is therefore impossible to achieve using an algorithm, and
 one is left with the same aporia that philosophers have diagnosed.

 According to Cohen, the first use of the term virus to refer to an
 unwanted computer code occurred in David Gerrold's 1972 science
 fiction novel, _When Harley Was One_. In an interview, Len Adleman
 concurred with Cohen: "The term 'computer virus' existed in science
 fiction well before Fred Cohen and I came along. Several authors
 actually used that term in science fiction prior to 1983. I don't
 recall ever having seen it, perhaps it was just a term whose time had
 come. So I did not invent the term. I just named what we now consider
 computer viruses 'computer viruses.'" [23] Indeed, it was a term
 whose time had come! And the convergence was not fortuitous:

      A few years later, while reading about the AIDS virus and its
      effect on T-cells, Adleman thought about a mathematical
      description of immunitary deficiency. As certain cells were
      depleted, he realized, other cells -- similar in type but not in
      function -- increased proportionately. Adleman's hypothesis
      offered not only an explanation for how AIDS destroys the immune
      system, but pointed toward a method of treatment. If the
      population of the unaffected cell type (T-8s) could be
      artificially reduced, he reasoned, the homeostatic forces at
      work in the immune system would cause an increase in T-4s -- the
      depleted cell types. [24]

 In 1986 -- the diffusion curve of the hypervirus passes its first
 order inflexion point, and the hypervirus thus becomes mainstream.
 That year, two Pakistani programmers replace the executable code in
 the boot sector of a floppy disk with their own viral code designed
 to infect 360kb floppies accessed on any drive. Their "Brain virus"
 (infected floppies had "(c) Brain" for a volume label) becomes the
 first recorded virus to infect PCs running MS-DOS. It is also the
 first "stealth" virus, meaning it attempts to hide itself from
 detection. If a computer user tried to view the infected space on the
 disk, 'Brain' would display the original, uninfected boot sector.
 Clearly, writers such as Burroughs and Derrida anticipated this form
 of dialectics of presence/absence. That same year, the performance
 artist Laurie Anderson turns William Burroughs's original insight
 mainstream:

      Paradise / Is exactly like / Where you are right now  / Only
      much much Better / I saw this guy on the train / And he seemed
      to have gotten stuck / In one of those abstract trances. / And
      he was going: "Ugh... Ugh... Ugh..." / And Fred said: / I think
      he's in some kind of pain. I think it's a pain cry. / And I
      said: "Pain cry? / Then language is a virus." Language! It's a
      virus! / Language! It's a virus! [25]

 One year later, AIDS turns mainstream too, thanks to a "hit" from
 Prince:

      Oh yeah / In France a skinny man / Died of a big disease with a
      little name / By chance his girlfriend came across a needle /
      And soon she did the same / At home there are seventeen-year-old
      boys / And their idea of fun / Is being in a gang called the
      disciples / High on crack, totin' a machine gun. [26]

 As in this song, the syndrome, however, is still restricted to
 certain stigmatized groups (homosexuals, junkies, etc.). At first,
 indeed, the syndrome is dubbed "the gay cancer." Contrary to the
 other three diseases associated with prior phases of capitalism, it
 is highly significant that the main mode of AIDS transmission occurs
 by sexual contact. In 1988, Susan Sontag already understands this, as
 she follows her original essay on Cancer and "Illness and Metaphor"
 with an update focusing on AIDS. She writes: "The sexual transmission
 of this illness, considered by most people as a calamity one brings
 on oneself, is judged more harshly than other means -- especially
 since AIDS is understood as a disease not only of sexual excess but
 of perversity." [27] This notion is quite well expressed in a song by
 the Pet Shop Boys, which is also released in 1987:

      Now it almost seems impossible/ We've drunk too much, and woke
      up everyone / I may be wrong, I thought we said / It couldn't
      happen here / I don't expect to talk in terms of sense / Our
      dignity and injured innocence / It contradicts your
      battle-scars / Still healed, so far. [28]

 And the Boss (Bruce Springsteen) concurs, some years later, when the
 time is ripe for a cinematographic representation of an AIDS patient
 (as a white lawyer): "Oh brother are you gonna leave me / Wastin'
 away / On the streets of Philadelphia." [29] The year before, 1300
 computer viruses were recorded, an increase of 420% from December
 1990. By November 1990, one new virus was discovered each week.
 Today, between 10 and 15 new viruses appear every day. In fact, from
 December 1998 to October 1999, the total virus count jumped from
 20,500 to 42,000. Perhaps soon we will stop counting; we have spyware
 now, and that too was anticipated by Burroughs:

      It is worth noting that if a virus were to attain a state of
      wholly benign equilibrium with its host cell it is unlikely that
      its presence would be readily detected OR THAT IT WOULD
      NECESSARILY BE RECOGNIZED AS A VIRUS. I suggest that the word is
      just such a virus. [30]

 It is worth noting that the ambiguity that surrounds the hypervirus
 is essential to its functioning as the master trope of the postmodern
 condition. If AIDS is the syndrome of choice to concretize the
 hypervirus in postmodern culture, it should be noted that, contrary
 to the three diseases associated with prior kinds of capitalism, AIDS
 is not a disease, but a syndrome. AIDS is the name of a medical
 condition associated with a wide spectrum of diseases that are
 usually assumed to be the consequences of the HIV infection. However,
 this very point is still the subject of controversy. Even if most of
 the medical and scientific community accepts today that AIDS results
 from the HIV infection, this is not a proven fact, and some say (e.g.
 the group of Perth; Kary Mullis, 1993 Nobel Prize for Chemistry) that
 it is only still a hypothesis, and a bad one at that. [31] To borrow
 a term from computer science, AIDS/HIV is a stealth virus. Rather
 than a mere epiphenomenon of big science, I consider this point as a
 crucial characteristic of the hypervirus.

 Today, the postmodern has turned ambiguity upside-down with
 injunctions like "Embrace your viruses!", or, even more, "Embrace
 yourself as a virus." Steven Shaviro, in his "Two Lessons from
 Burroughs", proposed such a "biological approach to postmodernism",
 and offered violent viral replications and insect strategies such as
 swarming as models. [32] In a Deleuzian fashion, Shaviro suggested
 that learn about the other by becoming other; furthermore, by posing
 "the question of radical otherness in biological terms, instead of
 epistemological ones.... resolving such a problem would involve the
 transfer, not of minds, but of DNA." [33] Deleuze and Guattari refer
 to this transfer as "aparallel", more recently it has been termed
 "lateral."

      No moribund humanist ideologies will release us from this
      dilemma. Precisely by virtue of their obsolescence, calls to
      subjective agency, or to collective imagination and
      mobilization, merely reinforce the feedback loops of normalizing
      power. For it is precisely by regulating and punishing
      ourselves, internalizing the social functions of policing and
      control, that we arrive at the strange notion that we are
      producing our own proper language, speaking for ourselves.
      Burroughs instead proposes a stranger, more radical strategy:
      "As you know inoculation is the weapon of choice against virus
      and inoculation can only be effected through exposure." For all
      good remedies are homeopathic. We need to perfect our own habits
      of parasitism, and ever more busily frequent the habitations of
      our dead, in the knowledge that every self-perpetuating and
      self-extending system ultimately encounters its own limits, its
      own parasites. Let us become dandies of garbage (...) Let us
      stylize, enhance, and accelerate the processes of viral
      replication: for thereby we increase the probability of
      mutation. In Burroughs' vision, "the virus plagues empty whole
      continents. At the same time new species arise with the same
      rapidity since the temporal limits on growth have been
      removed... The biologic bank is open." It's now time to spend
      freely, to mortgage ourselves beyond our means. [34]

 What was formerly seen as a problem, or even a stigma, is now
 portrayed as a path to Freedom, in a highly paradoxical statement
 strongly reminiscent of Philip K. Dick's Gnostic theodicy. For the
 ambivalence, of course, remains. As I write these lines, my native
 country is agitated by the aftershocks of the declarations of a
 comedian who has proved (again) that anti-Semitism is still practiced
 there. This man, whose name translates ironically into English as
 "God-given", has quite simply actualized the cultural ambivalence of
 the hypervirus' total diffusion in an aphorism equating Zionism with
 "the AIDS of Judaism."

 I am reminded here of the famous characterization of my own
 generation by Louis Pawels, in an editorial for _Le Figaro_ in December
 1986, as "suffering from mental AIDS." As we were demonstrating in
 the streets against one more reform of the educational system, Pawels
 wrote that we, "the children of stupid rock, the pupils of
 pedagogical vulgarity", had "lost our natural immunities." [35] Those
 viruses that were supposed to infect us were, of course, "mind
 viruses", as Dawkins would say. By the time Pawels passed his
 judgment on my generation, AIDS was definitely going mainstream and
 "low culture" (i.e. rock n'roll & vulgar pedagogy) had rejoined sex
 and drugs to complete the list of the symptoms of the hyperviral
 infection. Most of us shrugged, laughing, and passed the joint...
 only to realize, a few years later, that the guy was one of the
 bouncers at the doors of perception, French style.

 Today, such metaphorical uses of AIDS are so common that nobody seems
 to notice them anymore. A little Googling generates the following
 instances from the web: AIDS as a metaphor for violence, apathy,
 fear, loneliness, colonialism, globalization, pollution, ecological
 collapse, homosexuality, the opposing basketball team (!), the
 corruption and betrayal of the masses, chronic illness, the social
 and political deterioration of a fictional country, the general loss
 of moral standards, the conflicts tearing at American society at the
 turn of the millennium, the American condition, inequities, social
 decay, or merely "how the world works." Room for one more inside,
 Sir.

 There is one more crucial way in which today's troubled times are
 understood through the AIDS metaphor: terrorism as a consequence of
 "metaphysical AIDS." This one we owe to Jacques Derrida. [36] In an
 interview with Giovanna Borradori that took place in the wake of
 9/11, he develops this thesis: terrorism is the latest symptom of
 (occidental) suicidal autoimmunity. [37] Borradori notes quite
 interestingly that Derrida began his reflection on the mechanism of
 autoimmunization during the winter of 1994, "in connection with a
 study of the concept of religion, which frames his discussion of
 religious fundamentalism and its role in global terrorism." [38] And
 Derrida agrees, referencing a text written during that period:

      In analyzing "this terrifying but inescapable logic of the
      autoimmunity of the unscathed that will always associate Science
      and Religion," I there proposed to extend to life in general the
      figure of an autoimmunity whose meaning or origin first seemed
      to be limited to so-called natural life or to life pure and
      simple, to what is believed to be the purely "zoological,"
      "biological," or "genetic" (...)Since we are speaking here of
      terrorism and, thus, of terror, the most irreducible source of
      absolute terror, the one that, by definition, finds itself most
      defenseless before the worst threat would be the one that comes
      from "within," from this zone where the worst "outside" lives
      with or within "me." My vulnerability is thus, by definition and
      by structure, by situation, without limit. Whence the terror.
      [39]

 Notably, 1994 is the same year that Derrida realized that all his
 prior work from _On Grammatology_ on could be reinterpreted as a kind
 of virology. Susan Sontag writes about the same process: "In the
 description of AIDS the enemy is what causes the disease, an
 infectious agent that comes form the outside (...) Next the invader
 takes up permanent residence, by a form of alien takeover familiar in
 science-fiction narratives. The body's own cells become the invader
 [...] What makes the viral assault so terrifying is that
 contamination, and therefore vulnerability, is understood as
 permanent." [40]

 Why then, this elision of the virus in Derrida's account of
 terrorism? Why this strange feeling that if terrorism amounts to
 suicide, it is a spontaneous auto- phenomenon, with no external
 agent? In his first moment of autoimmunity, Derrida provides an
 answer. The aggression comes from the inside because it comes from
 "forces that are apparently without any force of their own but that
 are able to find the means, through ruse and the implementation of
 high-tech knowledge to get hold of an American weapon in an American
 airport." [41] Nevertheless, this too is characteristic of viruses.
 More importantly, Derrida adds, "let us not forget that the United
 States had in effect paved the way for and consolidated the forces of
 the 'adversary' by training people like 'bin Laden' [...] and by
 first of all creating the politico-military circumstances that would
 favor their emergence." [42] While this may seem to be a form of
 engineered virus, for Derrida, it is best described as doubly
 suicidal.

 If Derrida does not see the stigmata of the hypervirus in 9/11, it
 might be because this would amount to a repetition of Jean
 Baudrillard's thesis. Previous to 9/11, even before Derrida
 understood that his work produces a kind of virology, Baudrillard
 begins to recognize terrorism as one symptom of the hyperviral
 infection (cf. my epigraph). Like Derrida, he recognizes it as the
 result of a suicidal drive: "The terrorist hypothesis is that the
 system itself suicides in response to the multiple challenges of
 death and suicide." [43] However, unlike Derrida, Baudrillard resorts
 to a viral explanation, even if it does not take the face of an
 "external adversary":

      Terrorism, like viruses, is everywhere. There is a worldwide
      perfusion of terrorism, like the shadow of any system of
      domination, ready to awake everywhere as a double agent. There
      is no boundary to define it [le cerner]; it is in the very core
      of this culture that fights it -- and the visible schism (and
      hatred) that opposes, on a global level, the exploited and the
      underdeveloped against the Western world, is secretly linked to
      the internal fracture of the dominant system. The latter can
      face any visible antagonism. But with terrorism -- and its viral
      structure --, as if every domination apparatus were creating its
      own antibody [antidispositif], the chemistry of its own
      disappearance; against this almost automatic reversal of its own
      puissance, the system is powerless. And terrorism is the
      shockwave of this silent reversal. [44]

 This is exactly my point: the very core of the culture that fights
 the hypervirus -- postmodern theoreticians included -- is infected by
 it. Terminally. Terrorism is but one symptom -- albeit a crucial
 symptom -- of the infection. It reflects the vital (and morbid)
 condition of postmodernity, setting the stage for the fourth phase of
 capitalism. Terrorism is the source of pain and suffering and maybe
 the only sign of a future to come, a junk future. Could this future
 only be death, as ~patient 0~ seemed to have concluded?

      "Fight tuberculosis, folks."
      Christmas Eve, an old junkie selling Christmas seals on North
      Park Street.
      The "Priest," they called him. "Fight tuberculosis, folks."
      (...)
      Then it hit him like heavy silent snow.
      All the gray junk yesterdays.
      He sat there received the immaculate fix.
      And since he was himself a priest,
      there was no need to call one. [45]

 Junk is yet another name of the hypervirus: Virus and junk are
 connected through the power of the image, another excluded third.
 From the awakening of the hypervirus in _Nova Express_, Burroughs had
 realized that "junk is concentrated image" and that "the image
 material was not dead matter, but exhibited the same life cycle as
 the virus." [46] All the gray junk tomorrows...

  Notes:
  ------

 [1] Leonard Cohen, "Everybody Knows." ~I'm your Man~, 1988.

 [2] Jean Baudrillard, "Prophylaxy and Virulence," _The Transparency
 of Evil: Essays on Extreme Phenomena_, London: Verso, 1993, p.67.

 [3] At a recent conference in Montreal, I had the opportunity to ask
 Baudrillard directly about the presence of the trope of the virus in
 his work. He answered that the virus was indeed a metaphor in his
 mind, albeit a metaphor which "renews the terms of the analysis." He
 added: "Virtuality and virality get mixed up in my mind." An apt
 conceptual rephrasing of the very thesis that I wish to defend here,
 under the cover of a fictional "clinical report." (Jean Baudrillard,
 "La parralaxe du mal" ~Conference Terreurs, Terrorismes et Mecanismes
 Inconscients~, Montreal, October 31, 2005).

 [4] "One must further recognize and accept the pervasiveness of the
 viral trope within postmodernism (...) and understand the ontological
 confusion (and ideological anxiety) which it carries." Scott
 Bukatman, _Terminal Identity: The Virtual Subject in Postmodern
 Science Fiction_, Durham: Duke University Press, 1993, p. 347.

 [5] For this purpose, I will draw heavily on the terminology of
 Diffusion of Innovation theory (logistic curve, inflexion points and
 critical mass, etc.). Ironically enough, the logistic model of the
 diffusion of innovations was originally borrowed from the field of
 epidemiology (See Everett M. Rogers, _Diffusion of Innovations_,
 fourth edition, New York: Free Press, 1995).

 [6] Incidentally, Salvador E. Luria, Max Delbruck and Alfred D.
 Hershey were awarded the Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine for
 their work on viruses in 1969. As early as 1955, Salvador Luria had
 written that "A new view of the nature of viruses is emerging. They
 used to be thought of solely as foreign intruders -- strangers to
 cell they invade and paratize. But recent findings, including the
 discovery of host-induced modifications of viruses, emphasize more
 and more the similarity of viruses to hereditary units such as genes.
 Indeed, some viruses are being considered as bits of heredity in
 search of a chromosome" In '50, 100 & 150 Years Ago" _Scientific
 American_, April 2005, p. 18.

 [7] William S. Burroughs, _The Electronic Revolution_, 1970, Expanded
 Media Editions Published by Bresche Publikationen Germany, English
 version available on-line at
 http://www.hyperreal.org/wsb/elect-rev.html.

 [8] Kathy Acker, "Returning to the Source", funeral oration for
 William Burroughs, _21C_, 26 "No Future," 1998, p. 14: "He was the
 detective. Being the detective, he was the doctor. He searched out
 the possessors some of whose other names are viruses and junk. The
 word is virus. In other words, language controls virally (...)
 William spent a life-time investigating anti-viral techniques."

 [9] Burroughs, _The Electronic Revolution_, op. cit.

 [10] Cf. Anne-Marie Christin, _L'image ecrite, ou la deraison
 graphique_, Paris : Flammarion, 2001 [1995].

 [11] Jacques Derrida, _Of Grammatology_, G.C. Spivak, trans.,
 Baltimore: John Hopkins University Press, 1977. p. 314.

 [12] Although starting from a very different standpoint, Paul Ricoeur
 seems to reach a similar conclusion: "Perhaps the philosopher as
 philosopher has to admit that one does not know and cannot say
 whether this Other, the source of the injunction, is another person
 whom I can look in the face or who can stare at me, or my ancestors
 for whom there is no representation, to so great an extent does my
 debt to them constitute my very self, or God -- living God, absent
 God -- or an empty place. With the aporia of the Other, philosophical
 discourse comes to an end." _Oneself as Another_, Chicago: Chicago
 University Press, 1992, p. 355. Here I am tempted to spell injunction
 with a "k" and see the virus as its original source.

 [13] Derrida, Jacques with Brunette, Peter and Wills, David, "The
 Spatial Arts: An Interview with Jacques Derrida." In _Deconstruction
 and the Visual Arts: Art, Media Architecture_. Brunette, Peter and
 Wills, David (eds.). Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1994, p.
 12.

 [14] Dawkins, _The Selfish Gene_, Oxford: Oxford University Press,
 1989 [1976], p. 192.

 [15] Susan Blackmore, "Imitation and the definition of a meme",
 _Journal of Memetics_ , Evolutionary Models of Information
 Transmission, 2, 1998.
 http://jom-emit.cfpm.org/1998/vol2/balckmore_s.html. Referred to in
 this citation are: Richards Dawkins, _The Selfish Gene_, Oxford:
 Oxford University Press, 1976; G.J. Romanes, _Animal Intelligence_,
 London: Kegan Paul Trench, 1882; J.M. Baldwin, _Development and
 Evolution_, New York: MacMillan, 1902; H. Plotkin, _Darwin Machines
 and the Nature of Knowledge_, Cambridge: Harvard University Press,
 1993.

 [16] There are instances of "viral infections" documented for the
 Univac 1108 and the IBM 360/370 ("Pervading Animal" and "Christmas
 tree").

 [17] For more info on Elk Cloner see http://www.skrenta.com/cloner/.

 [18] Susan Sontag, "Illness as Metaphor", in _Illness as Metaphor and
 AIDS and its Metaphors_, London: Picador, 1990 [1978], p. 63.

 [19] See _Des choses cachees depuis la fondation du monde_, Paris:
 Grasset, 1978 and _Le Bouc Emissaire_, Paris: Grasset, 1982.

 [20] Gabriel de Tarde, _Les lois de l'imitation_, for instance.

 [21] Lorenzo Miglioli, "Berlusconi is a retrovirus: from the Italian
 theory-fiction novel" in Arthur and Marilouise Kroker, eds., _Digital
 Delirium_, Montreal, New World Perspectives, 1997, 145-151, p. 145.

 [22] Frederic Cohen, "Computer Viruses - Theory and Experiments",
 DOD/NBS 7th Conference on Computer Security, originally appearing in
 IFIP-sec 84, also appearing in "Computers and Security", V6(1987),
 pp22-35 and other publications in several languages
 http://vx.netlux.org/lib/afc01.html

 [23] "Innerview",
 http://www.scu.edu.cn/waim03/scu_cs/teach/adleman.htm.

 [24] Ibid.

 [25] Laurie Anderson, "Language is a Virus", ~Home of the Brave~,
 1986.

 [26] Prince, "Signs O' The Times", ~Signs O' The Times~, 1987.

 [27] Susan Sontag, "AIDS and its Metaphors", op. cit. 114. And she
 adds, "I am thinking, of course, of the United States, where people
 are currently being told that heterosexual transmission is extremely
 rare, and unlikely -- as Africa did not exist."

 [28] The Pet Shop Boys, "It Couldn't Happen Here", ~Actually~, 1987.

 [29] Bruce Springsteen, "Streets of Philadelphia," ~Philadelphia
 Soundtrack~, 1993.

 [30] Burroughs, _The Electronic Revolution_, op. cit.

 [31] It seems quite ironic again that the controversy about the HIV
 "hypothesis" should have exploded right at the time the hypervirus
 pandemics passed its final inflexion point, around 1993. In 1993,
 Kary Mullis, in an interview for the Sunday Times, said: "If there is
 evidence that HIV causes AIDS, there should be scientific documents
 which either singly or collectively demonstrate that fact, at least
 with a high probability. There is no such document." (28 nov. 1993).
 A year later, again in ~The Sunday Times~, Dr. Bernard Forscher,
 former editor of the U.S. Proceeding of the National Academy of
 Sciences, was quoted saying: "The HIV hypothesis ranks with the 'bad
 air' theory for malaria and the 'bacterial infection' theory of
 beriberi and pellagra [caused by nutritional deficiencies]. It is a
 hoax that became a scam." (3 April 1994) See
 http://www.virusmyth.net/aids/controversy.htm

 [32] Steven Shaviro "Two Lessons from Burroughs," in _Posthuman
 Bodies_, ed. Judith Halberstam and Ira Livingston, University of
 Indiana Press, 1995, pp. 38-54, p. 38.

 [33] Ibid., p. 47.

 [34] Steven Shaviro, _Doom Patrol_, chap. 10, "William Burroughs"
 http://www.dhalgren.com/Doom/ch10.html.

 [35] Louis Pawels, "Le mon*me des zombis", ~Figaro Magazine~,
 December 6, 1986.

 [36] Although Derrida consciously avoided the AIDS metaphor, critics
 were prompt to make the connection: "Derrida's most striking claim is
 that 9-11 is the result of an autoimmune disorder. (...) 9-11 was a
 double suicide of both attackers and their victims. We are suffering
 from a metaphysical AIDS." Gergory Fried, "The Uses of Philosophy",
 ~Village Voice~, quoted in "Derrida: democracy after 9/11",
 Philosophy.com, February 23, 2005, on-line at
 http://www.sauer-thompson.com/archives/philosophy/002925.html.

 [37] "Autoimmune conditions consist in the spontaneous suicide of the
 very defensive mechanism supposed to protect the organism from
 external aggression", Giovanna Borradori, _Philosophy in a Time of
 Terror: Dialogues with Jurgen Habermas and Jacques Derrida_, Chicago:
 Chicago University Press, 2003, p. 150.

 [38] Ibid., p. 154.

 [39] Ibid., pp. 187-188. Derrida refers here to his "Faith and
 Knowledge: The Two Sources of 'Religion' at the Limits of Reason
 Alone," in Jacques Derrida and Gianni Vattimo, eds., _Religion_,
 Stanford, Stanford University Press, 1998.

 [40] Susan Sontag, "AIDS and its Metaphors," op. cit, pp. 105-108,
 first emphasis in the original, second and third mine.

 [41] Borradori, _Philosophy in a Time of Terror_, p. 95.

 [42] Ibid.

 [43] Jean Baudrillard, "L'esprit du terrorisme", ~Le Monde~, November
 2, 2001, revised translation based on Rachel Bloul's translation,
 available on the webpage of the European Graduate School, accessed
 March 25, 2005,
 http://www.egs.edu/faculty/baudrillard/baudrillard-the-spirit-
 of-terrorism.html.

 [44] Ibid.

 [45] William Burroughs, "The Priest they called Him" from
 ~Exterminator!~ (1960), spoken word released on CD in 1993 with Kurt
 Cobain and Nirvana.

 [46] Cf. Bukatman, _Terminal Identity_, pp. 74-78, for an analysis of
 this figure.

 --------------------

 Thierry Bardini, a sociologist, is an associate professor in the
 Department of Communication at the Universite de Montreal, Canada,
 where he co-directs the Workshop in Radical Empiricism (with Brian
 Massumi). In 2000, he published _Bootstrapping: Douglas Engelbart,
 Coevolution, and the Origins of Personal Computing_, at Stanford
 University Press. He is currently finishing his second manuscript,
 entitled _Junkware: The Subject without Affect_.
 http://www.junkware.net

 *
 * CTHEORY is an international journal of theory, technology and
 *    culture. Articles, interviews, and key book reviews in
 *    contemporary discourse are published weekly as well as
 *    theorisations of major "event-scenes" in the mediascape.
 *
 * Editors: Arthur and Marilouise Kroker
 *
 * Editorial Board: Jean Baudrillard (Paris), Paul Virilio (Paris),
 *   Bruce Sterling (Austin), Siegfried Zielinski (Koeln), Stelarc
 *   (Melbourne), DJ Spooky [Paul D. Miller] (NYC), Timothy Murray
 *   (Ithaca/Cornell), Lynn Hershman Leeson (San Francisco), Stephen
 *   Pfohl (Boston), Andrew Ross (NYC), Andrew Wernick (Peterborough),
 *   Maurice Charland (Montreal), Gad Horowitz (Toronto), Shannon Bell
 *   (Toronto), R.U. Sirius (San Francisco), Richard Kadrey (San
 *   Francisco).
 *
 * In Memory: Kathy Acker
 *
 * Editorial Assistant: Ted Hiebert
 * WWW Design & Technical Advisor: Spencer Saunders (CTHEORY.NET)
 * WWW Engineer Emeritus: Carl Steadman

                To view CTHEORY online please visit:
                      http://www.ctheory.net/

            To view CTHEORY MULTIMEDIA online please visit:
                 http://ctheorymultimedia.cornell.edu/

 * CTHEORY includes:
 *
 * 1. Electronic reviews of key books in contemporary theory.
 *
 * 2. Electronic articles on theory, technology and culture.
 *
 * 3. Event-scenes in politics, culture and the mediascape.
 *
 * 4. Interviews with significant theorists, artists, and writers.
 *
 * 5. Multimedia theme issues and projects.
 *
 *
 * The Editors would like the thank the University of Victoria for
 *   financial and intellectual support of CTheory. In particular, the
 *   Editors would like to thank the Dean of Social Sciences, Dr. C.
 *   Peter Keller, the Dean of Engineering, Dr. D. Michael Miller and
 *   Dr. Jon Muzio, Department of Computer Science.
 *
 *
 * (C) Copyright Information:
 *
 *   All articles published in this journal are protected by
 *   copyright, which covers the exclusive rights to reproduce and
 *   distribute the article.  No material published in this journal
 *   may be translated, reproduced, photographed or stored on
 *   microfilm, in electronic databases, video disks, etc., without
 *   first obtaining written permission from CTheory.
 *   Email [log in to unmask] for more information.
 *
 *
 * Mailing address: CTHEORY, University of Victoria, PO Box 3050,
 *   Victoria, BC, Canada, V8W 3P5.
 *
 * Full text and microform versions are available from UMI, Ann Arbor,
 *   Michigan; and Canadian Periodical Index/Gale Canada, Toronto.
 *
 * Indexed in: International Political Science Abstracts/
 *   Documentation politique international; Sociological Abstract
 *   Inc.; Advance Bibliography of Contents: Political Science and
 *   Government; Canadian Periodical Index; Film and Literature Index.
 *

content by the NorMAN MailScanner Service and is believed
to be clean.

The NorMAN MailScanner Service is operated by Information
Systems and Services, University of Newcastle upon Tyne.

====
This e-mail is intended solely for the addressee. It may contain private and
confidential information. If you are not the intended addressee, please take
no action based on it nor show a copy to anyone. Please reply to this e-mail
to highlight the error. You should also be aware that all electronic mail
from, to, or within Northumbria University may be the subject of a request
under the Freedom of Information Act 2000 and related legislation, and
therefore may be required to be disclosed to third parties.
This e-mail and attachments have been scanned for viruses prior to leaving
Northumbria University. Northumbria University will not be liable for any
losses as a result of any viruses being passed on.

Distributed through Cyber-Society-Live [CSL]: CSL is a moderated discussion
list made up of people who are interested in the interdisciplinary academic
study of Cyber Society in all its manifestations.To join the list please visit:
http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/cyber-society-live.html