JISC-PEDVOCAB-WG December 2005

Re: Recommendations to JISC

Sheila MacNeill <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 2 Dec 2005 09:49:39 +0000

Hi Helen

I think that would be a useful inclusion. I was at the UNFOLD meeting this
week and along with several others, including Karen Fill who works with
Grainne,was more than a bit concerned about the workshop where we tried to
create a vocabulary for Learning Design (no probs in 4 hours!) using the
8LEM model and a list of shared terms teachers are comfortable with that
have been extracted from an Australian project called SMART Learning Design,
University of Wollongong (www.learningdesigns.uow.edu.au). Sue Bennett (one
of the project team) presented their work on the first day of the meeting.
They have been working with teachers developed learning designs for sharing
(not formal IMS LDs ). I'm not critising that project, but I was really
uneasy that anyone thought we could create a vocabulary in a couple of hours
by almost randomly selecting a couple of options from existing models/
vocabularies. Rob Koper was also trying to map LD to competencies, for the
10 Competencies project.

I think it would be really helpful to have some guidance for JISC for ways
forward in this area.

Sorry this has turned into a bit of a ramble, but I think this would be a
very timely opportunity to raise some of the issues around vocabularies for
Learning Design.

One of my tasks from the last working group meeting was to complete the
section on 8LEM, so I'll do that with an update on the work this week at the
UNFOLD meeting.

Sheila

----

----