ACADEMIC-STUDY-MAGIC@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

ACADEMIC-STUDY-MAGIC Home

ACADEMIC-STUDY-MAGIC  December 2005

ACADEMIC-STUDY-MAGIC December 2005

Re: Cunning Folk

jacqueline simpson <[log in to unmask]>

Society for The Academic Study of Magic <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 19 Dec 2005 18:18:45 +0000

I can't of course speak for what Sabina was thinking
of, but one aspect which Katharine Briggs did mention
was the Scotttish witch-trials where the accused woman
spoke of her supernatural mentors in ways which relate
the 'fairy' concept to that of the dead. Briggs was
writing some 30 years ago; the argument has been
explored in greater depth in the more recent work of
Diane Purkiss, which has been mentioned on this list.

Jacqueline