Help for SIDNEY-SPENSER Archives

SIDNEY-SPENSER Archives

SIDNEY-SPENSER@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

SIDNEY-SPENSER Home

SIDNEY-SPENSER  November 2005

SIDNEY-SPENSER November 2005

Re: Do they call virtue there ungratefulness?

"James C. Nohrnberg" <[log in to unmask]>

Sidney-Spenser Discussion List <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 29 Nov 2005 00:48:56 -0500

And I am reminded of the occasion of Horatio's lines, namely Hamlet on the
uses of the imagination in tracing out connections, whether leading or
following.  Of course Horatio thinks to prevent a morbid excess of
reflection on the fate of the physical body, but Hamlet is now well on his
somewhat ungrateful way to thinking through the matter of mortality in order
to forgive himself his own.  But let be.

On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 18:15:11 -0500
  "David L. Miller" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Tom, I'm reminded of Hamlet's reply!

> I am reminded of Horatio's lines to Hamlet in the graveyard scene: "'Twere
>to consider too curiously to consider so."
> And to complicate the paroxisms  of irony, take a look at Worsdsworth's
>imitation of this poem.  Very different.  tpr

James Nohrnberg
Dept. of English, Bryan Hall 219
Univ. of Virginia
P.O Box 400121