Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: On the subject of conferences...

Annie Mitchell <[log in to unmask]>

The UK Community Psychology Discussion List <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 30 Nov 2005 09:08:35 +0000

text/plain

Dear all,
Further to my comments about my worries re the Layard proposals - have a
look at the Guardian today for a full spread .

Annie

--On 29 November 2005 21:59 +0000 amitchel <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>> Dear all,
>
> While I do agree with what David says here about clinical psychology, I
> also  need to say that my suggestion that we think about timing the next
> conference  to fit with
> potential trainees was not meant to be about appropriating it in any way
> (though perhaps it comes across like that) -simply part of an effort to
> make  it accessible - and there will be plenty of other things to take
> into account  too naturally.=
>
> Is there an implication here though that if a clinical psychologist is
> part of  the group offering to do all the hard work organising the
> conference that it  will default to clinical psychology values and
> assumptions? - If clinical  psychology is dominating the agenda too much
> what should we do - maybe we are  speaking out too much and need to keep
> quieter? As someone who is currently  being punished rather hard within
> my institution for not colluding with the  prevailing clinical ethos, and
> for acting on what I feel to be community  psychology values and
> assumptions, I would feel sad if our community  psychology network turned
> into yet another them and us sort of place which for  me it so much
> hasn't felt  so far. I've been so grateful for what has felt  pretty much
> to be a safe space - it is really important for me that we can do
> disagreement here but in a way that is kind and not scary to speak out
> in. And  David, I very much like and respect you - but you can be a bit
> scary in the  way you put things! But I guess I can take a fair bit of
> scariness from  colleagues and friends who I feel are basically with me...
>
> Annie
>
> PS re critisising clinical psychology - taking a look at the awful
> uncritical  Layard stuff and orchestrating a community psychology
> rejoinder/ alternative,  to try and challenge the clinical psychology/CBT
> takeover would be good? Does  anyone have any thoughts about how we might
> do that?
>

>  ==== Original Message From The UK Community Psychology Discussion List
>> Dear All,
>>

>> In case we are in danger of too soon closing down discussion in an
> insufficiently problematised and affirmatory consensus, here are some
> provocations:
>>

>> Where?
>>
>> Like everyone on the list, I am grateful for those in Yarmouth for
>> offering
> to host the next conference. However keys point about the site of the
> conference are, in my view, accessibility and cost.  When we organized
> the UK  CP conference in Stirling attendance was very poor and the travel
> time and c
>> ost implications seemed one discouraging factor. Would the position and
> transport links of Yarmouth be an issue? I don't think so but don't know.
> Another key issue relates to whether the choice of site determines
> whether the  conference will default to clinical psychological
> [...]

Lecturer in Psychology,
Clinical Director, Doctorate in Clinical and Community Psychology,

School of Psychology,
Washington Singer Building,
University of Exeter,
Exeter,
EX4 4QG

Phone 01392 264621 or
Liz Mears, Programme Administrator 01392 403184